Moderators: CV Team, Tec Team

Would you consider buying one?

Yes! It's a good idea.
10%
No way... not a real Jeep.
19%
Maybe, need more information.
48%
Possibly just for a DD - not for off road.
24%

Total votes: 21

Run4lo

Electric Jeep?

Post by Run4lo »

If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Most off-roading and crawling requires a lot of torque which is why the 4.0 was so popular for so long, but and electric motor makes 2 to 3 times more torque than an equivalent gas motor and they do have electric drive motors that are part of the wheel assembly. Suppose they were to use 4 of those.... extremely torquey real time 4 wheel drive! This could work well especially considering it could also be 4 wheel independant suspension with huge travel. Well sealed you also wouldn't need to worry about water crossings that could fill your intake and drown your engine. Ask Chet how cool his Wrangler would be with v-8 torque!
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
Run4lo

Post by Run4lo »

That would also mean no need for lockers with a drive motor on each wheel!
If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Found a lot more info on this Jeep. It's got a 268 hp/295 ft.lb. motor driving the transfercase input (so 2 hi/4hi/4lo all work) and it is not a hybrid. That's right, it's a real full time electric vehicle! It has a small gas engine that will power a generator to recharge a 300-400 volt battery but it only runs if you drive farther than the battery chage will normally take you (like 40 miles). With a full tank of gas for the gen. engine (8-10 gal) and a full charge thet claim you can drive in excess of 400 miles (40 mpg folks) and will cruise at 90 mph. If you drive less than the 40 mile mark, the gas motor may not need to run at all. And when you open the gas cap, there's a cable and plug. It can be charged on 110 or 220 as a dual voltage charger is built in onboard. visit http://www.chryslergoeselectric.com.They have pictures and videos. The future is almost here people, so if you gotta have a gas powered one, you better get it!
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
jeepxjman88

"he double hockey sticks" ya

Post by jeepxjman88 »

"he double hockey sticks" ya now us old people that did not have a power wheel will get one haha , no sounds kool but would have to be off road capable 0!!!!!!!0
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

When I am forced to go electric my wheeling days will be over. The problem with the future is the choices get less and less.
On a warm night when the JEEPS are quiet...you can hear a truck rust!