steering box upgrade

Technical information on all Jeep models Reviews and Write-ups on all Jeep related items for all models. Please specify Model at the beginning of the "Subject". You may reply to the posts but please use the appropriate other areas for general discussion posts.

Moderator: Tec Team

98SportTj

steering box upgrade

Post by 98SportTj »

this will work for the TJ that i know of as long as the rest have the same steering box this shal work for you as well

well my steering box was leaking from the input seal and from the pitman arm seal as well... so i went lookin for a upgrade cause it was leaking to the point that i was adding a Qt a day just drivin back and forth to work... i did sum searching on Jeepsunlimited and found that a steering box from a durango and a dakota will fit into a tj.... well a few calls to the junk yards in the area i got one from a 99 durango 4x4 non snow plow package.. for $100 instead of buyin a reman jeep one for a little over 200... when you put the two next to eachother they is a huge size difference between them... the durango one is much beefier.. and will bolt rite into the stock location... it is 3.5 turns lock to lock... and takes a bit less effort to turn my 33s and soon to be 35s

will post the pics when i get them off my camera
2006 Dodge ram Big Horn 1500 QCSB
4.7l
flowmaster 40
k&n filter,
tint matched
loud stearo

2004 yamaha R6
lots of mods

98 Tj (sold)
OiRadio47

Post by OiRadio47 »

i think your stock steering box is still in my garage :p
mudmonkey

Post by mudmonkey »

ANY IDEA IF THIS MOD WOULD WORK ON MY 96 XJ? MY GEAR BOX IS LEAKING ABOUT A QUART AN HOUR LOL GOT TO DO SOMETHING SOON!!!!
~MUDMONKEY~ 91 XJ 4.5" Lift, under construction..... sold=TOPLESS 96 Cherokee XJ, 4.5" Lift, 8,000 pound Smittybuilt winch, custom made front bumper,trimmed fenders, 33x12.50x15 TSL SUPER SWAMPERS . *JUNE 2010 JOTM*
VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici »

It should work as BatJeep stole 1 of my spares (XJ) & put it on His TJ

Roland :roll:
91 XJ 2d 36" TSLs,6.5 lift ,d30 fr.,d44 rear, locked w/ 4:88s Warn 9.5xp,dual optimas, and alot more. and soon to come rear disc breaks
Buckle Up or Get Out I'm About To Try Something!!
dragordie

Post by dragordie »

Onthe last 88 XJ I had I went with 1998 Dodge Durango V8 4X4 Gearbox.
bolt right in no hassels. and WOW what a difference! Kinda looking at doing this with the new YJ.
Have A Blessed Day
Dave<><

It’s Hip to be a JEEP Builder
Wheeling For Christ
timsbronco2

Post by timsbronco2 »

you can get a new steering gear box for advance for 140.00 from factory
for the duarago
98 xj long arm locked and getting readly to get bigger