Pain in the Gas

Technical information on all Jeep models Reviews and Write-ups on all Jeep related items for all models. Please specify Model at the beginning of the "Subject". You may reply to the posts but please use the appropriate other areas for general discussion posts.

Moderator: Tec Team

Tazhuntin

Pain in the Gas

Post by Tazhuntin »

Been thinking, how many of us miss out on trail runs due to gas prices? I would like to get some people together on a project... What mods work and what ones don't. I even went as far as taking the winch off to lighten the Jeep. If anyone is going to get a mod, i.e. throttle body spacer, air filter setup ect, post your before and after milage.
To date I have added the throttle body spacer, airaid filter and even went as far as getting the "fuel saver" oil change. With the winch and the 33's, and 3.73 gears, I was getting about 12 MPG. Will be intresting to see what I get for the next couple of days with the winch off, other than a inch and a half more clearance at the fenders.
If you know of another mod let me know and I will look into it. Thanks again.
Here is a link to a goverment site on the wrangler, I want to get the milage on mine to around 16-20 ave, and see what it takes to get it.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/18201.shtml
bullyjeep98

Post by bullyjeep98 »

I had a 98 Wrangler with a 2.5 and a stick. Best mod I did with ported out a 4.0 throttle body port matched the intake and added stock fuel injectors for a 5.0 mustang. With running 33's I was able to run 80 on the Highway and without having to keep the gas peddle held the the floor to go I got a "he double hockey sticks" of alot better gas mileage in town and on the highway. I can't remember what I was getting but with stock gearing and 33's I was getting about 5 mpg better than whatever stock was.
88 MJ,Green Bead Locks, D44 front with air locker, D44 rear with spool, alloy usa axles and 5.13's, 36in. swamper tsl's, RK long arms four squirrels under the hood, And strait sheet metal, for now
Bully Off Road
Tazhuntin

Post by Tazhuntin »

wonder if the injectors would work on the 4.0?
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Shedding a few lbs. always helps in the gas milage race as does modifying your driving habits, but the best way to improve the gas milage of your Jeep is to park it and get a teenie-weenie import to get back and forth in. Let's face facts, refrigerator boxes stacked up are not very aerodynamic and never will be. So if you got a long commute, get a rice burner and if you have a short one, ride a bike. Maybe we can reduce how much fuel we use and we all know about supply and demand.
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
Tazhuntin

Post by Tazhuntin »

Not looking for a rice burner here, just tryin to see what works and don't and get the word out, no need to spend hard earned gas money on stuff that does not work.
Sure in a perfect world biking on the short would be the best, but nah, love my ride, and the biggest problem with gas/oil prices is the bloat! And that doesn't tick me off as much as the e-mails that get tossed around like a new baby the first family holiday that comes around, you know the ones, "Don't buy gas on ... fill in the date" that will not work. I've seen just as many people pumpin the wallet buster on that day as any other.It would take every person for more that a week everywhere for them to get the point, and then they know that the next day if it was to work we would just pull up to the ol pump and empty the wallet.
Now find out who is the lowest selling fat bastard oil company and only buy from them and no-one buy from the other guys might even work for a while, but then again, once the prices go down and we go again, like a bomb the prices will blow up again.
Sure I agree that biking or hiking it to work or down the road would be the best, for the wallet, health and good ol mother earth. But maybe we should be looking into other ideas, how to use what we got more sparingly, grabbing your buddy on the way to work, hiking it down the road for a soda.
Being a Jeep related club we have to focus on getting better milage on what we got. There is more SUV's on dealer lots lately, and far be it from me to say that isn't right. Riding our bikes to work will be better for us in the long run, but gas will still be high and get higher, thus the food we eat gets higher and everything we do will cost more.
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Running proper tire pressure is super important, getting air in and back out helps the engine run more effeciantly of course. If one puts on bigger tires they almost always can benefit from a gear swap. My Red XJ for example, for the short time I ran the stock 3.55 gears on the 33's...think how much harder the engine had to work to get the thing to move down the road. On the other extreme, you don't want so much gear that you're topped out at 70.

Time to bust out the stock wheels and tires?
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

"he double hockey sticks" Derek never has anything long enough to check the mileage
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
Tazhuntin

Post by Tazhuntin »

Now be nice Jeff.
Well filled up last week, went drivin this weekend and took the winch off and removed the rear seat (had to make a lowes run after hooters) and filled up before work last night, put 4 gal in the tank to fill it up. went 60 miles, that's 4 MPG improvement bringing it to 15 MPG on ave.
But not to get to ahead of myself I will do it one more time to make sure it will get the same again. If it does that means I got my stock ave MPG with the few fuel saving mods I have with the bigger tires and bumpers. The tricky part is to get that WITH a winch still on, or better without.
rubilooe

Post by rubilooe »

My Rubicon was getting 16.49 with 35 MTZs 5.13 gears hi flow exhaust TB spacer ,CAI ,white lighting module . After the Krawlers were put on I was lucky to get 9mpg .
99 TJ Complete Boat Sides Flat Belly Comp Cut Fully Tubed 4.88 Detroits 37 MTRs Cut and grooved, Allied Beadlocks 14" Bilstein Remote 7100 Series CTMs More Rollcage added and Lots More. 2010 Season should prove fun !!!
Finch

Post by Finch »

green50gt wrote:Running proper tire pressure is super important, getting air in and back out helps the engine run more effeciantly of course. If one puts on bigger tires they almost always can benefit from a gear swap. My Red XJ for example, for the short time I ran the stock 3.55 gears on the 33's...think how much harder the engine had to work to get the thing to move down the road. On the other extreme, you don't want so much gear that you're topped out at 70.

Time to bust out the stock wheels and tires?
is this the same cherokee that im driving?
Be kind, be courteous and be careful but more importantly.. JEEP HARD OR GO HOME!!!
2000 Jeep Cherokee, all stock for now. KM2's in the future with some lift.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6775_n.jpg
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Nay, this one: