Hitch Installation

Technical information on all Jeep models Reviews and Write-ups on all Jeep related items for all models. Please specify Model at the beginning of the "Subject". You may reply to the posts but please use the appropriate other areas for general discussion posts.

Moderator: Tec Team

BoilerCommander

Hitch Installation

Post by BoilerCommander »

I need to put a hitch on my xk, dealer is way too expensive and I thought I may check out Auto One and Ziebart. Do you think this is something I can just do myself (there are plenty of kits for my XK out there) or I should just have a store do? My main purpose for now is for a bike rack, but maybe towing our jet boat one or two times, so nothing big. Any recommendations?
2006 4.7L V8 Commander QT-II: Modifications and Garage
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

I know rear facsia has to come off to install a hitch on a Commander and it's an even larger pain if you are equipped with back-up sensors. I'd take it to someone I trust, a do it yourself project is gonna require some time, patience, and expertise. Good luck!
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
BoilerCommander

Post by BoilerCommander »

I think I may have lucked out, installing this is easier than I thought. Although there is cutting and I have to take the rear bumper off, it seems very straight forward. thanks for the tips! I am confused on how the backup sensor interferes though, do sensor wires run out into the bumper?

2006 4.7L V8 Commander QT-II: Modifications and Garage