Beadlocks

Technical information on all Jeep models Reviews and Write-ups on all Jeep related items for all models. Please specify Model at the beginning of the "Subject". You may reply to the posts but please use the appropriate other areas for general discussion posts.

Moderator: Tec Team

thrillride

Beadlocks

Post by thrillride »

I have been told In the past that Beadlocks should not be used on the road, but I have read that you can drive on the road with them. So can anyone tell me Is it safe to drive on the road with Beadlocks?
bullyjeep98

Post by bullyjeep98 »

I have never had any problems. There are a few people in the club that run them onroad and don't have problem. They are not DOT approved so if a cop is having a bad day and sees them, he can pull you over and give you a ticket. I don't know anyone who has gotten a ticket for running them.
88 MJ,Green Bead Locks, D44 front with air locker, D44 rear with spool, alloy usa axles and 5.13's, 36in. swamper tsl's, RK long arms four squirrels under the hood, And strait sheet metal, for now
Bully Off Road
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Hutchinson makes DOT beadlocks, as does Jeep now for JK's, and I am unsure about Hummer beadlocks, they should be.
Blueprint Ben

Post by Blueprint Ben »

ive been running them for 1 year on-road. no problems.
CommodoreDiegoFirebeard

Post by CommodoreDiegoFirebeard »

Not DOT approved does not automatically make it illegal. It is just not approved, meaning you as the owner of the vehicle are liable for any injury or deaths that occur as a result of the non DOT approved part. The law is grey about this and as a result the manufacture of the bead lock rim has found it easier and cheaper to side step getting the design approved. As a result they are generally free of liability. Thankfully with all the simulated bead locks on the streets now, the scrutiny is minimized…

Spherical rod ends AKA heim joints can fall into this category as well…not specifically approved, yet not specifically outlawed either…

The general argument against bead locks is centered around two areas:

Having the bolts come loose, becoming projectiles and the tire deflate rapidly, coming off the bead and causing a crash.

In the event of a crash, instead of the tire being able to absorb the impact then pop off the bead as a standard tire and rim would. The tire absorbs the impact then rebounds increasing the injury to the occupants.

That being said, these are just the arguments and rare is the factual story that supports…

If you are looking to get bead locks, take a look around and see the various designs. Outer ring bolted on pinching the bead (most of what you see as the non DOT approved), split rim (Hummer DOT approved) and inflatable (most DOT approved). See what works for you and how you feel about the safety of each design
thrillride

Post by thrillride »

thank-you for the info bro's :D