Looking for a cheap air compressor setup

Technical information on all Jeep models Reviews and Write-ups on all Jeep related items for all models. Please specify Model at the beginning of the "Subject". You may reply to the posts but please use the appropriate other areas for general discussion posts.

Moderator: Tec Team

green50gt

Looking for a cheap air compressor setup

Post by green50gt »

Ok, so I am looking for the coolest, cheapest air compressor setup I can find. I would like to be able to run some small air tools right from the jeep. I am not getting rid of the AC that currently does not work, so I am guessing that leaves me with a big electrical pull. Anyway, let me know what you have. I would appreciate it.
bullyjeep98

Post by bullyjeep98 »

I got a nice York compressor I will sell ya but it's belt driven. As far as electric goes, good luck with running air tools. They don't push enough CFM. Even if you have a descent size air tank a 12v compressor doesn't have the power. I may be wrong but I haven't seen one yet.
88 MJ,Green Bead Locks, D44 front with air locker, D44 rear with spool, alloy usa axles and 5.13's, 36in. swamper tsl's, RK long arms four squirrels under the hood, And strait sheet metal, for now
Bully Off Road
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

I would go a CO2 setup if you want to run tools. I haver the small compressor in my XJ but its good for tires and thats about it.
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
CommodoreDiegoFirebeard

Post by CommodoreDiegoFirebeard »

I agree W/ XJjeep short of a york, the CFM just not there at a lower cost point. Let me dig up the plans and parts list to build your own C02 system using off the shelf parts for 1/2 the cost of a the flashy marketed ones...have it here somewhere 8)
Last edited by CommodoreDiegoFirebeard on December 5th, 2008, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Capt. Diego Firebeard wrote:I agree W/ XJjeep short of a york, the CFM just not there at a lower cost point. Let me dig up the plans and parts list to build your own C02 system usig off the shelf parts for 1/2 the cost of a the flashy marketed ones...have it here somewhere 8)

I think we discussed it one day using old fire extinguishers?
CommodoreDiegoFirebeard

The bottle is one thing...and if a shop doesent like the size of the bottle or that bottle was not been certified in the past 7 years...you may have a problem getting it filled...then again there are people and shops who don't care about it...as a general statement...paint ball shops in my travels seem to be the most lax on enforcement, industrial gas suppliers the most and beveage suppliers some where in the middle.

This is a list of the valves, burst discs and other parts. All the stuff you can buy from Grainger or your industrial part house of choice to build a safe and the equal of a powertank (less the stickers and plastic handle)
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

The fire extinguser was for an air tank compressor set up
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
bullyjeep98

Post by bullyjeep98 »

Matt when you get a list please post. I am interested in this also.
88 MJ,Green Bead Locks, D44 front with air locker, D44 rear with spool, alloy usa axles and 5.13's, 36in. swamper tsl's, RK long arms four squirrels under the hood, And strait sheet metal, for now
Bully Off Road
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

FIND THE LIST MATT. Angry mob forming as I type! :smt064
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

I might sell a few of my pop CO2 tanks if the price is right. Does anybody know what they go for? Are they on the list?
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
CommodoreDiegoFirebeard

Dunno the going rate, but all CO2 tank threads should be the same. still digging!
Tazhuntin

Post by Tazhuntin »

Run4lo

Post by Run4lo »

If you go this route you should check Maple City Fire, they fill CO2 and are in Goshen (it's where I get my tank filled for my kegerator).
If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
CommodoreDiegoFirebeard

OK, here goes.

The list is a few years old...so something may have changed

Here are the sources used put together the CO2 system for less than 1/2 the cost of a Power Tank. Here's the parts list:

10 lb. Aluminum CO2 tank with handle (Catalina Brand) from Marine Depot 714-979-7313 www.marinedepot.com (look under CO2 Regulator Kits then CO2 accessories)
$116 + shipping
If you have access to a cheeper Co2 Tank, it will can be used

Model "150 Male" CO2 regulator with a 150 lb. spring from Williams Balloons & Helium in Santa Maria , CA

1-800-235-4112 (Tell Them you are with a Four Wheel Drive Club To Get Discounted Price)
$30.22 + 6$ shipping = $36.22

(You must specify 150 lb. spring *or whatever you want* when ordering, the model number & spring rate is a coincidence here) (Pressure at the hose will be about 80% of the regulators spring rating, so approx. 120 lbs.)

20' (125 lb. rated) polyurethane coiled hose with swivel ends from Grainger Wholesale tools
2 Milton quick connects
1 Milton female connector
1 Milton male connector
1 Air chuck

Total for fittings & polyurethane hose was approx. $40 (the hose was 30.00) it has to be polyurethane for CO2, but you can probably find it cheaper at harbor freight or some place like that. The one from Grainger is the same brand of hose that power tank sells.

Fire extinguisher bracket from Grainger about 35.00.

Here's what you don't get when compared to the Power Tank: No gauges -- but these are not useful anyhow. The pressure in the tank is constant until you run out of liquid CO2 and the pressure at the hose is meaningless with a static regulator. To determine how much CO2 is left you just weigh the tank. Besides, ~120 lbs. of pressure will do everything I want it to do, inflate tires, run air tools and re-seat tires on the rim -- what CO2 does best!!! And the other thing you don't get is an adjustable regulator. And I really can't see any reason for it if you aren't running your ARB air locker off of it. Of course this is my opinion of what I think will be needed on the trail.

The bigest expence is in the tank and there may be better local sources for a used tank...gunguy in particular!

for comparison, here is the link to poly performance, they stock all the powertank bits and bobbles

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Pow ... -1305.html
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Gunguy how much for a tank ole' buddy?

My buddy red97xj did a homebrew kind like these and he swears by the adjustable regulator...says he can crank it up to run air tools, or lower it down to inflate kids toys or whatever, so I think I like that route.

Thank you Matt!

Ok, how far will $20 bucks get me? :lol: :shock:
bullyjeep98

Post by bullyjeep98 »

Thanks for the list Matt
Bully Off Road