YJ half doors on a TJ (LJ)

Technical information on all Jeep models Reviews and Write-ups on all Jeep related items for all models. Please specify Model at the beginning of the "Subject". You may reply to the posts but please use the appropriate other areas for general discussion posts.

Moderator: Tec Team

TFERV
CV team
CV team

YJ half doors on a TJ (LJ)

Post by TFERV »

YJ Half Doors on a TJ or LJ
I don't know if many people know about this or the ease of doing this, but this is a little project that I thought I would do a write up on. I'm not a great mechanic, so I figured this is one thing I could contribute, if anything just to bring awareness of this.
I got this idea and then found a page on a forum that showed how to do it; however they missed a few steps and I have to work around it. This should work for any TJ or LJ Wrangler (mine being an LJ). Some may say, "Why not just buy TJ doors?" They usually go for twice the money and doors (regardless of model) don't always come around at a good price.

First off, you have to remove the TJ striker by unscrewing the bolts then bend out the little tab on the back side holding the nut mounts and take the nut bracket out.
Take the YJ nut bracket and slide it where the TJ one was. put about 3 or 4 washers on the YJ striker pin and screw it in through the top hole that was made from the TJ striker pin.
IMG_1003b.jpg
Second, unscrew the 3 bolts on the side of the door to release the catch/latch. Push it down and out of the way so you can cut/grind off this metal tab that is in the way. Then bring up the catch and line it up to where it will need to meet the striker. Then drill 2 or 3 holes below and slightly inward (toward the inside of the jeep) so that it can be remounted lower and line up with the striker pin.
IMG_1002b.jpg
If you want to open the door from the inside you will have to cut about an inch off of the end of the inside leaver so that it clears your TJ's dash.
yjhalfdoorontj2ha0.bmp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TFERV on April 11th, 2013, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Re: YJ half doors on a TJ (LJ)

Post by TFERV »

Now I have half doors on my LJ!
They need paint, so I plan to paint them matching silver and paint the handles, mirrors, and hinges black.
I would say the main downside to this is that I have to swap out the striker pins when I switch between my full and half doors. However, this morning it took me less than 5 minutes to do this. I plan on just keeping the half doors on in the summer and put the full doors on in the winter so it's not a big deal.
IMG_1004.JPG
Also, a quick note:I haven't gotten this far yet, but from what I have read, in order to get uppers to fit you will need TJ uppers and modify the front mounting pin. Some have said that you will either need to bend or cut and re-weld the front (closest to the hood) pin back so it lines up with the YJ door holes. I will post some more details and pics when I get to that point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TFERV on April 11th, 2013, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
White Rubi
CV team
CV team

Post by White Rubi »

Very nice write up. I've done this the other way . And was just as easy . Thanks for the info and pics .
05. LJ rubi with 454tbi and th400 trans with 241OR t-case.
Member of the Big Block Jeep club
6in RC lift 3in body
38x14.5x16 toyos on procomp wheels

http://www.youtube.com/koalacat
http://s816.photobucket.com/home/koalacat_photo/index
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Thanks! I'm proud to say it was one of those projects that (so far) has turned out the way I expected and wanted it too. That doesn't usually seem to happen. haha
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
White Rubi
CV team
CV team

Post by White Rubi »

I think you'll find building is not All that hard . With today's forums and WWW. It just takes lots of money!!

J.just E.empty E.every P. pocket... JEEP!
05. LJ rubi with 454tbi and th400 trans with 241OR t-case.
Member of the Big Block Jeep club
6in RC lift 3in body
38x14.5x16 toyos on procomp wheels

http://www.youtube.com/koalacat
http://s816.photobucket.com/home/koalacat_photo/index