4.0 Throttle/Idle problem

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

green50gt

4.0 Throttle/Idle problem

Post by green50gt »

Ok, have a weird one. Randomly when I start my jeep, or maybe when I go to shut it off, the engine will rev to roughly 3 grand and sit there, sometimes a second or two and drop, sometimes several minutes.

Also, associated with that - but maybe not, randomly as i am driving the rpm's will jump around, almost like it's trying to change gears. 99% of the time it does not do it during acceleration, or under wide open throttle, usually when im just driving along minding my own business. Sometimes I can stomp on it while its doing it, and it will knock it off.

It throws no codes during any of this.

Last night I changed the throttle position sensor with one I had from who knows when and who knows what Jeep. I took the throttle body off, cleaned some of the carbon out of it, cleaned the idle air control valve. It was pretty clean, I mean geesh I only have 88k miles on it. NOW it threw a code, but most certainly has to do with the unknown TPS I put on it.

Any ideas? I usually run 87 octane, last tank I ran 93 with no change. This started several months ago I've just now decided to take the time to look at it.
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

TPS would be my first suggestion to fix your problem. Second is don’t run 92 in a motor designed for 87, it will not get a complete burn of the fuel and cause carbon build up in the combustion chamber and on the back side of the valves.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
Finch

its your tps

Post by Finch »

try your tps sensor and maybe even try your intake air temperature sensor. on a dmm or a scantool
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

I suppose I should have mentioned this was resolved about 6 months ago. Thanks.
Finch

Post by Finch »

allright my bad, what ended up beeing the issue then
Be kind, be courteous and be careful but more importantly.. JEEP HARD OR GO HOME!!!
2000 Jeep Cherokee, all stock for now. KM2's in the future with some lift.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6775_n.jpg
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

Finch wrote:allright my bad, what ended up beeing the issue then
derek never found out , he just sold it :D :lol: :lol:
sorry derek had to say it :lol:
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06