OBD P0456 Code

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

airforceret

OBD P0456 Code

Post by airforceret »

A couple blocks from the house this morning I noticed the Check Engine Light was on.... brought it home and did the 3x Ignition ON and got the code from the dash display.

Did some google and all I found was that the Evap Canister is reporting a leak....

It just started today so there is a slight chance it may clean itself up, but I doubt it...

Any suggestions?

I'm willing to support the economy on this one as I just don't have time right now with work to be messing with it or to be down for very long.

Roger
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!
CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

check you gas cap make sure it is tight and make sure the seal on the cap is not cracked. that code is a evap small leak could also be an evap line cracked or wore through
88 cherokee pioneer chrysler 8.25 dana 30
6.5 inch lift 35" procomp xterrains
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:

A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking

I got the code on my JK when I bought a locking gas cap from Walmart. Apparently it does not seal/vent properly. So if you want a locking gas cap it will cost $80+ bucks from the dealer. Then they can send it out to have it rekeyed to the vehicle +$30.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

CapnDave wrote:check you gas cap make sure it is tight and make sure the seal on the cap is not cracked. that code is a evap small leak could also be an evap line cracked or wore through
I was wondering if the cap could be an issue... i took it off/on tonight... will see what happens tomorrow, then check the seal...

these type codes are such a pain...

thx Dave...
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

Mediocre wrote:Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:

A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking

I got the code on my JK when I bought a locking gas cap from Walmart. Apparently it does not seal/vent properly. So if you want a locking gas cap it will cost $80+ bucks from the dealer. Then they can send it out to have it rekeyed to the vehicle +$30.
thanks for the info...... hope it something simple, but with me, it will be the biggest pain.... LOL

Roger
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

Well ... been a few days, the light hasn't gone away, but I'm driving it for now... Checked the cap... seems tight... even thought I heard a little pressure release after driving... so the system seems to be fairly tight...

Anyone know of any long term ill effects by not fixing it?

Roger
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

ROGER says :Anyone know of any long term ill effects by not fixing it?

hole in the ozone gets bigger, global warming, need i say more :lol:
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
Duff

Post by Duff »

sandfox wrote:ROGER says :Anyone know of any long term ill effects by not fixing it?

hole in the ozone gets bigger, global warming, need i say more :lol:

Humm?
- Worse gas milege, MORE POWER!??? he, he, he...
- Al Gore won't like you and your anti green house approach...
- Ur Jeep and Madcow become ozone buddies?? LOL!!!
: 98 TJ : 14" coilovers : 35 TSL : D44/D60 4:88 ARB : Warn 8274 : Snorkel : Lights :