Dash Lights

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

jeepdj
MJC member
MJC member

Dash Lights

Post by jeepdj »

Dash Lights went out last night while on the way home.
Replaced the headlight switch cause they were going on and off, hope that fixes that problem. The dimmer reostat pops the 5 amp fuse so I pulled it checked and power and ground are o.k. at the plug.

I totally suck at tracking electrical problems. Found a dimmer on e-bay.

Any ideas?
03 Grand Cherokee WJ, which stand for WILD JEEP. JK 17's, BFG Muds, 3" lift,
Stillen Big Brakes/Rotors,front tow hooks, rear D ring, cargo basket.
wileyeyejeep
CV team
CV team

Post by wileyeyejeep »

Shoulda won that desert tan JK saturday I guess????????
1998 RED Wrangler. 3.5" custom lift. 31" Wild Country MTX, Custom rear bumper, Millmark front winch bumper, 12000 Badlands Winch, custom rocksliders and many more mods to come. Not your average stock rig. JOTM November 2010. Proud member of the RED JEEP CLUB
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

Dash lights are normally on the same fuse as the taillights. So check to make sure you have taillights too. If they are out you should check them for water and/or corrosion. A blown lightbulb can sometimes cause a short too so if the taillights are out check the bulbs too.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
jeepdj
MJC member
MJC member

Post by jeepdj »

All exterior lights are good. Just lost the dash lights. Friend told me to get into the dash and check all connections to the guages. The thing is they all went out at the same time. Headlights worked fine tonight too after a new switch. All guages work fine, just no backlight.

Took contact cleaner to the dimmer to no avail. Replace the fuse, plug in the dimmer and as soon as I turn the dimmer up "pop".

There must be a hot wire gounding out somewhere.
03 Grand Cherokee WJ, which stand for WILD JEEP. JK 17's, BFG Muds, 3" lift,
Stillen Big Brakes/Rotors,front tow hooks, rear D ring, cargo basket.
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

look under the transfercase shift lever, I have had several of them pinch the wires after the bulb and socket come out of the bezel.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front