Alternator Qs!

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

Joe
MJC member
MJC member

Alternator Qs!

Post by Joe »

Ok, so on sunday killed the alternator... 120 bucks later I've got the new one. One thing I noticed was that they all seem to be externally regulated. Idk if its ythe same on all the 4.0s or just the Cherokee but my alternator is on the bottom. The guy at autozone said they are easy to destroy with water... I was just wondering if there's a way to remount it or if there's something like internally regulated? Or water proof? Haha my jeeps isn't quite a sub....
01 XJ Few Mods on 33s JOTMay 2011
03 Sahara black on black on black, lifted and locked
White Rubi
CV team
CV team

Post by White Rubi »

As man I've got a used one of my rubi id had sold ya for half that. It could be relocated id be a tuff task.
05. LJ rubi with 454tbi and th400 trans with 241OR t-case.
Member of the Big Block Jeep club
6in RC lift 3in body
38x14.5x16 toyos on procomp wheels

http://www.youtube.com/koalacat
http://s816.photobucket.com/home/koalacat_photo/index
Frank

Post by Frank »

I wish I could find a solution also.
XJ | XK
CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

ive got an alternator laying around too i could have sold ya
88 cherokee pioneer chrysler 8.25 dana 30
6.5 inch lift 35" procomp xterrains
Rubble

Suggestion

Post by Rubble »

Take the old one and have it rebuilt. You will have a spare.
03 Wrangler a few add ons
93 ZJ winter beater (sold)
Joe
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Joe »

Ill have to keep you guys in mind next time then. Had to get one asap so I could go to work. Hated to dish out that much but eh its ok I guess. They said its got a lifetime warranty! Lol wonder if mud/water dmg voids it....
wileyeyejeep
CV team
CV team

Post by wileyeyejeep »

Joe wrote:Ill have to keep you guys in mind next time then. Had to get one asap so I could go to work. Hated to dish out that much but eh its ok I guess. They said its got a lifetime warranty! Lol wonder if mud/water dmg voids it....
Sure does.
1998 RED Wrangler. 3.5" custom lift. 31" Wild Country MTX, Custom rear bumper, Millmark front winch bumper, 12000 Badlands Winch, custom rocksliders and many more mods to come. Not your average stock rig. JOTM November 2010. Proud member of the RED JEEP CLUB
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Since you're speaking of alternators. Going forward if anyone has an alternator problem, if you can get me the alternator, I can drop it off in Shipshewana to an amish guy who rebuilds them.(and pick it up on my way home from work) The last 3 I have taken to him he has repaired in the same day and all of which did not go over $30 dollars.

Or do it yourself...

Better-Bilt Auto Electric
Dean Graber
0065 S SR 5
Shipshewana, IN 46565
260-768-3282

Super nice guy, he has all my business.
Joe
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Joe »

I will remeber these. Something tells me that my Jeep won't stay dry or out of mud, idk why.. Lol
Joe
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Joe »

While I'm thinking about it, where's the best/cheapest place to get a battery around elkhart? I've got my old one to trade in still for the core charge.
jv

Post by jv »

Joe,

Just picked up an Optima at Advance and got 20% off on it! Check their site- they also had a promo where if you took 15% off, they'd send you a coupon for $50 off your next purchase. I didn't go that way- I spend too much already :D So the 20% off was the deal for me. You have to go thru their site to get it, but you can pick it up at the store of your choice. Might check the other guys too. If it wasn't for this deal, I think I'd have taken an Odyssy over the Optima- people like them better, it seems. Also, I figured out in a hurry that the top of the line Sears Diehard... is an Odyssy for less $!! There's a couple of MJC members on here that work for parts stores.

Oh, and the Advance deal is for anything on the site, so an alternator could be had there, too- though Derek's guy sure is tempting for a spare.
95 YJ 4.0
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

You might want to keep an eye out for a spare starter too, they don't play in the mud too well either.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
Joe
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Joe »

I'm starting to learn that when they make vehicles they don't make them to go through mud or turn into submarines. Lol should just invest in another XJ to keep out back.
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

I just might be able to help you out with that in a month or two. An XJ out back that is.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
Blueprint Ben

Post by Blueprint Ben »

one company did

it's called a hummer.