how to set-up rear ends??

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

VEGAS
MJC member
MJC member

how to set-up rear ends??

Post by VEGAS »

so according to lochmandy, my rear pinion bearings are bad. i need help setting the bearings right! long story short i dont want them to touch it! anyways i can do all the work, i just would like someone to tell me how or show me how to set the bearings right. any help would be appreciated and willing to pay. was wanting to do it before badlands, but if not then it can be done afterwards.
2000 Black XJ with 3'' BDS lift, Victory 4x4 front and rear bumpers, Quadratec Q9500is winch, Moab 16'' wheels wrapped with Mastercraft Courser MXT 285/75/16
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Re: how to set-up rear ends??

Post by The Bandit »

here is the correct way ... http://www.differentials.com/install.html
JOTM Feb 2011

A Jeep is a set of legos, the possibilities are truly endless!

93 GC 5.2L 4" zone lift, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich KM2,black rock 15x8 wheels, KOR radiator support w/ snatch points, T-case skid plate. rock sliders. front winch bumper comeing soon!!
whatsup1287

Post by whatsup1287 »

There is a lot to it... If you get lucky you might be able to put new bearings in and be alright....
There are some special tools that make the job a LOT easier but for what a good bearing puller cost you could easily pay someone to do it.
This is the one I have http://completeoffroad.com/i-153527-yuk ... t-p22.html
It works awesome, but unless you plan on setting up a few sets of gears buying the tools don't pay off.
I would get a hold of Shaun at Michiana Auto Pros and ask for a quote to do it.
2004 LJ - Huge lift, little tires, go fast chrome!
2006 mega cab cummins
1994 YJ
1999 Xj
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

you say rear pinion bearing, on the rear axle or the front axle , i have pulled the rear ends all apart, put new races on housing had new bearings pressed on diff, then had shaun come over and set it all up, might give him a try
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
Duff

Post by Duff »

If you have not set up a ring and pinion before, you will have your hands full first time around with only a video (trust me). This is just due to the special tools often necessary to pull them apart and check them when ur done - you need, mag micrometers, etc. I have at least $500-600 in just set up stuff for axles (and I dont even have all the set up bearings just some of the popular ones).
To do a rear pinion bearing properly you will need to consider...
1. pull ring gear and pinion out - keep all your shims and note location!!!
2. pull old bearings off your pinion - install new (i usually heat mine up and they just drop on).
3. remember to re-install ALL old shims back where you found them!!!
4. install pinion first checking pinion rotational force (typically in inch pounds) for correct torque.
5. install the ring gear/carrier assy.
6. when your done - always recheck your pattern and backlash.
- I think the Dana 30/35's are about 10inch pounds on the pinion and like .007 on the backlash... Def check the book!!!

I would HIGHLY reccomend you take a job like this to someone who has done it before (and learn from them), or take it to Shawn and just let him crank it out for ya! BTW - id help, but im buried right now!!! And Shawn is excellent!!
: 98 TJ : 14" coilovers : 35 TSL : D44/D60 4:88 ARB : Warn 8274 : Snorkel : Lights :
AutoProsOffRoad.com

Post by AutoProsOffRoad.com »

Thanks Tay, Duff and Sandfox. Yea Id be more than happy to help. Im very reasonable priced when it comes to differentials. I even offer MJC members a discount. :smt023
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

wonder if i been gettin my discount?
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Ok,,, with all this knowledge, how much to setup a Dana 60 front and a Dana 70 rear....
[align=center]Image
:smt075[/align]