4.0L Engine swaps

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

4.0L Engine swaps

Post by thunderstrike44 »

I need to replace the engine on my 91 YJ with a 5 speed, so my question is this simple, can you use a Cherokee Engine from a 94-95 and just change the bell housing because its a Auto not a manual. Does everything else bolt up. I know the 4.0L design came from the Cherokee(not a grand a standard) first and then in the wrangler, since mine is a 91 its was the first year to get the 4.0L, so I am hoping that is all I have to do. I assume I have to use my air manifold or are they close enough to be good even with that? Just wondering if anyone has done this yet?
Thanks
Thunderstrike44
2006 65th Anniversary Rubicon TJ ,
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 1998 TJ Sport
and Yes I wrench my own Jeeps...:-)
CapnDave

Re: 4.0L Engine swaps

Post by CapnDave »

the engine istself should be a the same the intake manifold and the exhaust manifolds may be different depending on the year. sensors may be different aswell but those are easily swapped over. and you will have to throw your flywheel and clutch on it. also depending on the year the distributors maybe be different
88 cherokee pioneer chrysler 8.25 dana 30
6.5 inch lift 35" procomp xterrains
thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

Re: 4.0L Engine swaps

Post by thunderstrike44 »

that is kind of what I was thinking but since I have never did it, I wanted a little confirmation....Thank You!
Thunderstrike44
2006 65th Anniversary Rubicon TJ ,
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 1998 TJ Sport
and Yes I wrench my own Jeeps...:-)