Jeep JK Oxygen Sensor Locations

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

Jeep JK Oxygen Sensor Locations

Post by thunderstrike44 »

Ok, I am sure this is a obvious question to the Jeep Techs, but since I have been unable to locate a drawing or any explanation to sensor location..... How do you know which sensor is bad since there is 4 of them. The scanner tells you Bank 2 Sensor 2, but is that right or left, front or back?? I get an Error code P0058 and P0158 and also a P0430 which all point to bank 2...great which is that?
Thunderstrike44
2006 65th Anniversary Rubicon TJ ,
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 1998 TJ Sport
and Yes I wrench my own Jeeps...:-)
comancheman

Re: Jeep JK Oxygen Sensor Locations

Post by comancheman »

Bank 2 will be drivers side and sensor 2 will be after cat i believe down stream. In not all cases that the sensor is bad but doing its job and telling you it has emmision defect( ex: cat is bad) Take it to dealer and see if you are still covered under emmisions warranty
1989 Comanche
            _____
 ______l__c\_\,___ 
l_---\___l---[]IIIII[] 
(o)_).             (o)_)
--cost???......PRICELESS!!!!
thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

I did check the voltage on the scanner being reported back to the ECM and that sensor and Bank were at a flat 1.27 volts I think when the other three were like .87 Volts. The Jeep just turn 50000 and is a 2007 so I think its out of any warranty. Plus they don't cover replaceable items like the O2 sensors been down that street before with another car.
I am a little confused on the fact they have Right and Left specific and Front and Back specific Sensors for sale, and some manufactures have one fits all. How do you know what is right?
Thunderstrike44
comancheman

Post by comancheman »

Federal emmisions warrenty is 80k or 8 years i believe
1989 Comanche
            _____
 ______l__c\_\,___ 
l_---\___l---[]IIIII[] 
(o)_).             (o)_)
comancheman

Post by comancheman »

Unsure of the "Universal". But 1 set reads down stream and other set reads upstream. Cant think why left or right would matter.
1989 Comanche
            _____
 ______l__c\_\,___ 
l_---\___l---[]IIIII[] 
(o)_).             (o)_)
thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

Well considering the OEM I was maybe think Wire length or something, but if you look the parts up they have 4 different sensor specifying RF, RR and LF , LR.
Yes I was thrown off to why some after market companies have Front and another Rear, then Some have it can go in either place and yet another had the 4 separate listings. So you can see why I was confused. I will give the dealer a call about the warranty issue on that, would be nice since I have three recalls that need to be done on it also and my u-connect stopped working after the battery went died, that I need them to re program or what ever it takes. I love the this Jeep but they are making it almost impossible for me to work on it any more.
Thunderstrike44
comancheman

Post by comancheman »

Ya i get the confused. But u do got something to direct your efforts. Your dealing with driver side so elimate all passenger

Id check dealership before you spend 120 bucks on o2 sensors to find out your cat was bad and warranty covered.

Rf = before cat
Rr = after cat

Or it can be as simple as an exhaust leak

Let us know what u find out about dealership
1989 Comanche
            _____
 ______l__c\_\,___ 
l_---\___l---[]IIIII[] 
(o)_).             (o)_)
comancheman

Post by comancheman »

What did u find out about this?
1989 Comanche
            _____
 ______l__c\_\,___ 
l_---\___l---[]IIIII[] 
(o)_).             (o)_)
thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

The dealer told me Ok Sensor are not included in the warranty, so I ordered one online waiting for it to get here, hopefully this weekend I will have it to try. I hope you are right about which one it is :D I have not been able to find anyone else confirm which side it is. The Cherokee according to a site I was on says that bank 2 is the right side and sensor 2 is the rear. But nobody in the JK group seems to know.....
Thunderstrike44
thunderstrike44
MJC member
MJC member

Well Muncho Thanks comancheman, you were right on the Money. But you are not going to believe the circumstances. I got a new sensor as I told you and when I rolled under the jeep to take a look at the Drivers rear Ox sensor I was greeted by 4 broken wires hanging from the sensor. Since as you probably know this sensor is right over the front drive shaft and the clip that holds the connector to the Clutch bracket broken and allowed the wires to come in contact with the spinning drive shaft and pretty wore them through. I replaced the sensor tie wrapped the connector back to its bracket cleared the code and no problem. I guess it would of been real obvious to me which was bad if I got under there and looked but for what ever reason I always go under by the passenger and probably never looked on that side.

So Thanks! for the great info and I don't think the warranty would of covered that regardless......lol I am guessing I stick or something flew up and broke it because there was a small puncture hole in the floor board insulation on the drivers side, probably just trial debris.
Thunderstrike44
comancheman

Post by comancheman »

Well good! Glad ya got it fixed. :smt004
1989 Comanche
            _____
 ______l__c\_\,___ 
l_---\___l---[]IIIII[]