Wrangler 2002 TJ Performance Chip Kit Or Module?

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

Sand Man

Wrangler 2002 TJ Performance Chip Kit Or Module?

Post by Sand Man »

Hey Gang,
Anyone have any experiences good or bad with these performance chip kits? There seams to be a couple of company’s producing them. They say there is a boost of 60-80 HP and a increase of gas mileage from 4-8 MPG. Please give us your feedback and we will keep you posted if we go with a specific one and how it turns out.

The Sand Man
:smt006
2002 TJ, 4.0 liter auto, 4” Skyjacker lift kit w/ JKS adjustable control arms , Traction Lock, 33” Mastercraft MXT tires, Hampton 10.5 Commercial winch. , G Force Performance Chip. Big Daddy Off Road BG506 Aluminum Rock Sliders, Rampage Frameless Trail Top, Olympic Front Winch Bumper, Rugged Ridge cai and throttle body spacer, Rampage 5089925 H/L conversion, Proud member of MJC, South Bend Sodbusters, Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association, Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club, Aces 4X4, Wicked Jeeps Of Michigan plus the Red Jeep Club. JOTM January 2015
FyrFytr704

Re: Wrangler 2002 TJ Performance Chip Kit Or Module?

Post by FyrFytr704 »

I don't have any experience with them on the Jeep, but I used to build and tune race cars and performance diesel trucks. 60-80 HP out of a stock gas powered engine is almost completely unheard of. With a very high performance engine, that's more than possible, but on a stock 4.0 I would doubt it (I've been wrong before). I definitely don't intend to rain on any parades, but I would say that something along the lines of 10-20 hp and an 1-2 mpg are more reasonable expectations. Are you looking for more torque, horsepower, mileage, or just have an itch to do some improvements to the Jeep?
'04 Rubicon, high-lined, stretched to 104" wb, and armored
Stock 4.0, trans., and t-case
HP D60 front - ARB and 3-linked, D60 rear - Spooled and 4-linked, 5.38 gears, PSC assist, 40" LTB's
FINALLY out on the trail after 2 years in the making!
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
White Rubi
CV team
CV team

Post by White Rubi »

There's no possible way a plug and play chip could produce 60-80 HP gas. With that kind of gain . You would need a better fuel system deliver , injectors throttle body. Then comes hard parts . Head to flow the extra air and fuel needed. And I'd bet a different cam to allow valves to open more to again account for extra air and fuel. Then comes distributor. Needs to upgraded to a hotter spark and plug wires also would need upgrade. . And there's more I've not included .
I'd say one may gain 3-5 real horses. And possible 1 mpg. Real world numbers.

An easy way to gain 3-4 HP .is to eliminate the stock clutched cooling fan . And go electric. And also rid that problem a jeep has with high under hood temps and over heating the 4.0 Pron to. As far as. Mpg. Really!!! Its a jeep not made for mpg.....
05. LJ rubi with 454tbi and th400 trans with 241OR t-case.
Member of the Big Block Jeep club
6in RC lift 3in body
38x14.5x16 toyos on procomp wheels

http://www.youtube.com/koalacat
http://s816.photobucket.com/home/koalacat_photo/index
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

i agree with troy, the fastest cheapest 5-10 comes from getting rid of that mechanical fan.
and i also agree with the really low numbers on a gas engine from a chip, and really i would expect ANY increase in mileage, most likely a 1-5 mpg loss....sad but true.
the fan you will be able to "feel" in the seat of your pants when you "get some"..... IMHO.(what ever its worth)
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
whatsup1287

Post by whatsup1287 »

With 33s your best bet is going to be to change your axle gears to get back to close to stock gearing with the bigger tires.
Prob 4.56s-4.88s.
2004 LJ - Huge lift, little tires, go fast chrome!
2006 mega cab cummins
1994 YJ
1999 Xj
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

I managed to increase my jeep's fuel economy from about 9 mpg to 16 mpg by loading it on the trailer and hauling it to the trail with my truck!!! LOL

Roger...
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!