aussie locker on the street

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

svtkev
MJC member
MJC member

aussie locker on the street

Post by svtkev »

i got an 8.8 pretty much given to me and am about to start the install into my tj , this was suppose to be limited slip but i found its not.
im considering a aussie locker (mainly because its the cheapest option) $235 shipped is the cheapest i found
im just wondering if anyone in the club has used one and is it pretty streetable locker or would i be best off finding a stock lsd since my jeep is primarily used on the street with the occasional jones/silver lake trips
June 2013 JOTM
gunguy

Re: aussie locker on the street

Post by gunguy »

They are not bad at all in the rear, just a little noisy.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
svtkev
MJC member
MJC member

Post by svtkev »

ha, just the guy i was hoping would chime in
thanks , i might just go ahead and install the axle as is since the install looks pretty simple on those type of lockers and i can add it later
June 2013 JOTM
Reaperman

Post by Reaperman »

The only notable difference with an aussie locker in the rear will be making turns from a stop. Moderate acceleration will lock the unit, and cause slight wheel hop while turning. I run lockers in both front and rear in my XJ on the street. While it's not terrible, it will require you to change your driving habits a little.

The 8.8 factory Trac Loc limited slip is a great setup as well. I also have that in my crown vic police interceptor. It has excellent road manners and will lock up quickly when you want it to. It does take just a little wheel spin before it will lock. The aftermarket carriers for the 8.8 are a bit expensive, but you can find the OEM Ford Racing Trac Loc carriers on ebay and such for around the same price as the Aussie. You might even be able to find one at a salvage yard.

Given that your TJ spends most of it's time on the street with Jones and Silverlake being your primary offroading, I think you'd be happiest with the Trac Loc. But if you see any slow technical crawling, like rocks, in your future then the Aussie or better is the way to go.
96 XJ, Rusty's 8.5" lift & long arm, full cage, locked f&r, OBA, 35" KM2's
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Do you have an auto or manual? If auto I would see no problems at all with a lunchbox, but indeed you will have to change your driving style.

If manual, I don't recommend it. You'll have to really change your driving style, and I'm willing to bet you'll want to rip it out right away. Freaking annoying.

I am sorry I have to disagree with the previous fellow, you couldn't pay me to run a trac lok. Ok so maybe they are neat compared to an open, but the first time you really need it to lock up - it will let you down.. Been there done that.

Good luck.
svtkev
MJC member
MJC member

Post by svtkev »

thanks for the replies guys, my jeep is a stick
im wondering if id be better with some chromoly shafts for the d35 since my primary concern is snapping axle shafts
i havent had a problem yet but i drive my jeep to and from wherever i wheel it and i need to be sure its going to make it home afterward
only money ive spent so far is an artec truss but those resell easily if i change my mind
June 2013 JOTM
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

I'd put the money in the 8.8. You will likely adapt your driving style somewhat out of habit and the noise will eventually become normal and you likely won't notice, but yes there are some who never get used to it. I ran a detroit locker in my CJ and liked the noise... kind of like how a diesel guy usually wants to own a Dodge! :) One day you may upgrade from Aussie to Air Locker (or just go there now!) LOL good luck...
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Kevin, just my lowly opinion here, but I wouldn't do it.(since its a manual) While accelerating you'll be in the throttle, you go to shift and it will unlock and the drivers corner will come down, then you shift and get back in the throttle again - the front end pops up and you are pulling slightly.(5 times!) Then there are corners - you can't shift and you can barely accelerate or you are going to chirp tires and/or be fighting the wheel to get out of the other lane. That crap is going to get old fast.

Your axle shafts will be fine - one won't simply bust going around a corner. I have daily driven a number of rear lunchbox jeeps - never had an issue with shafts.

Now that I have a Rubicon, I will say that selectable is the way to go. Good gosh they are amazing, drivability issues are GONE. Costly, but worth it.
svtkev
MJC member
MJC member

Post by svtkev »

well based on everyones advice and my own twisted way of thinking i have decided to install the 8.8 open ,and upgrade it later if i think i need it, at the same time im gonna install a new clutch and gas tank skid plate
i figure if i just rip it all out at once then i can deal with trackbar issues or issues with aftermarket exhaust and gas tank skidplate all at once
June 2013 JOTM
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

svtkev wrote:well based on everyones advice and my own twisted way of thinking i have decided to install the 8.8 open ,and upgrade it later if i think i need it, at the same time im gonna install a new clutch and gas tank skid plate
i figure if i just rip it all out at once then i can deal with trackbar issues or issues with aftermarket exhaust and gas tank skidplate all at once
I think you are moving in the right direction!!! I run Yukon gears and ARB locker in my 8.8 and it's been a real workhorse in Moab and Colorado. I've managed to bend one rear track bar but trust me when I say it's been to "hells revenge" and back. I didn't have to change my exhaust either.

Good luck... Roger
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!