PINION TRAVEL?!

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

Reaperman

PINION TRAVEL?!

Post by Reaperman »

Firtst off, let me just say, I know that there should not be any pinion travel. However.....I got some on my rearend. :( When I regeard to 4:56's, everything seamed to go as usual. When setting the preload on the pinion, I noticed that the new pinion nut did not seam to seat as far onto the pionion as the old set up did. I compared the old nut to the new, and found the new one was a good 1/8" taller than the old one, and chalked it up to that. After setting proper preload and backlash, everything seamed right as rain. I've put just over 300 miles and two easy trips to Jones with no issues. Then, on my way to work this morrning at 5:00am, The pinion moved enough to contact the carrier! :shock: Let me tell you, nothing will wake you up and get your attention quite like that! Not knowing what it was at the time, I was still close to home, and took my jeep straight back with no issue or anymore ungodly noises. :? Inspecting everything to find the cause, I saw my pinion move in and out about that same 1/8", and opend the diff to see some light marring on the carrier and no damage to the gear set. I was able to tighten the pinion nut more and now it sets like I thought it should in the first place. Now I just need to readjust the backlash, which I'll do tomorrow. Giving up tonight out of frustration and disgust. :smt011 The only cause I can think of is that the bearing race did not seat properly in the initial set up. Has anyone ever had an experience like this, or am I the only idiot? :roll:
96 XJ, Rusty's 8.5" lift & long arm, full cage, locked f&r, OBA, 35" KM2's
Duff

Re: PINION TRAVEL?!

Post by Duff »

Your not an idiot. Just probably have not done enough gears yet.
The crush sleeves used in the D30/35's require a ton of torque and it feels very un-natural to load it.
I have actually crushed them in a vise slightly before prior to install. Either way crush sleeves can be a pain and can be easy to screw up. I typically use solid spacers from Revtech - but I don't think they make them for 30/35s.
Make sure you pull your ring gear real quick so you can set your pinion preload correctly and don't forgot to add a few inch pounds to your final reading (assuming you keep the pinion seal installed). Then do a quick verification of your pattern and backlash.
Give me a call if you have questions or hit me on here on the forum and I will do my best to help ya.
: 98 TJ : 14" coilovers : 35 TSL : D44/D60 4:88 ARB : Warn 8274 : Snorkel : Lights :
Reaperman

Re: PINION TRAVEL?!

Post by Reaperman »

This is on a 8.25 rear. I've only done 5 five other gear changes over the years, but this was a first time experience with a crush sleeve. My D30 front uses shims on both ends of the pinion, same as the others I've done. If I ever have to do another crush sleeve set up, I'll take your advice and use a solid spacer instead. I've got everything reset, so let's try this again! I'm gonna count this as a lesson learned and be very greatfull that it didn't actually destroy anything. Thanks for the advice Duff.
96 XJ, Rusty's 8.5" lift & long arm, full cage, locked f&r, OBA, 35" KM2's