Dirk's 90 YJ Restoration Thread

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

impboy65

Dirk's 90 YJ Restoration Thread

Post by impboy65 »

Here is what started with right after christmas. Complete except the 4cyl engine for $800.

From there i started the deconstruction process

Put in a new floor pan

Fixed some intense frame rot

A couple weeks ago, I picked up this wrecked 92 for $350. I have since removed the motor,trans,all the wiring, gauges, tank...

Here is my rolling chasis as of today. Painted it with POR 15, Installed a prothane total kit, put on new shocks and stabilizer. I already bought $1700 worth of replacement stuff (seals, all the brake parts etc.) from quadratec. Can't wait to be done for the semester so i can get this thing on the road.
:supz:
1990 YJ Finally Done! Edit: Have had long enough to realize it will never be DONE rather momentarily satisfactory.
[]lllllll[]
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Lookin' good! Not much more noble than restoring a Jeep, well maybe restoring a Willys, but it's real close. Good work, keep it up.
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

Nice, can't wait to see a finished product
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
Teepot

Post by Teepot »

Really nice work. Can't wait to see it done.
Dave
JEEP - If you can't build the one you want. Build the one you have.
99 TJ 4.0 5sp 3:73 2"BB 1" BL/ML, Teraflex disco's, Blank built custom rear bumper, Rock Hard front bumper, 32x11.5 Procomp M/Ts on 15x8 Cragar series 397 rims.
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

Sweet.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

You are going to paint it red again right?
VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici »

Sweet Rig, Welcome to our corner of thr world!!!!

Roland
91 XJ 2d 36" TSLs,6.5 lift ,d30 fr.,d44 rear, locked w/ 4:88s Warn 9.5xp,dual optimas, and alot more. and soon to come rear disc breaks
Buckle Up or Get Out I'm About To Try Something!!
impboy65

Post by impboy65 »

Actually, I'm going for this color with all black hinges and flares.

I can get all that for $70
www.PaintForCars.com
1990 YJ Finally Done! Edit: Have had long enough to realize it will never be DONE rather momentarily satisfactory.
[]lllllll[]
impboy65

Post by impboy65 »

I want it to look like this guys sweet rig.
[]lllllll[]
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

That's perdy.
Foolio

Post by Foolio »

Your project looks like it's moving right along. Nice color choice! Also, thanks for posting the link to that paint company; their prices are reasonable. Keep us updated on the build......
Hi-Lift jack from a JEEP
2001 Yamaha Blaster, oil pump bypass, TORS removed
1987 YZ250: 1990 engine, FMF pipe, YZ490 wheels
1987 CR125R: pro circuit exhaust, carbon fiber reeds, Wiseco Pro-lite piston
impboy65

Post by impboy65 »

Your project looks like it's moving right along. Nice color choice! Also, thanks for posting the link to that paint company; their prices are reasonable. Keep us updated on the build......

Thanks. I thought their prices were pretty good too. I have their color chart if you ever want to see it just let me know. Otherwise its like $3. The semester ends April 24th so I'll be hardcore wrenchin' and takin' pics.
[]lllllll[]
Tazhuntin

Post by Tazhuntin »

Can't wait to see it, nice color choice, that paint website is where I was going to order my paint for the TJ
OiRadio47

Post by OiRadio47 »

i'm assuming you have a 65 impala? lets see it 8)
impboy65

Post by impboy65 »

You are correct. If I don't drive it to the rally on saturday, I'll soon post some pics.
[]lllllll[]
miikeyt

Post by miikeyt »

looks nice, i remember going through alot of those stages.
your shackle choice looks a little spooky though
96 xj H.O. engine, 02 NV 3550 tranny w/ B&M short throw shifter, slip yoke eliminator kit, CV driveshaft, 8.25 from an XJ, shackle reversal, 4" superlift springs, stubby front bumper, blank built rear, custom seats, hurculined tub, JKS discos, 35" bfg mt's on black steel rims.
impboy65

Post by impboy65 »

your shackle choice looks a little spooky though

Why? They are 2'' lift. Thats what was on there when I got it and I'm trying to spend as little as possible.
[]lllllll[]
bullyjeep98

Post by bullyjeep98 »

Yeah those shackles are going to sway really bad. An easy fix would be to weld a peice of 1x1 on the shackles between the spring and the frame mount. Make the shackles look like an H. Cheap and Easy.
88 MJ,Green Bead Locks, D44 front with air locker, D44 rear with spool, alloy usa axles and 5.13's, 36in. swamper tsl's, RK long arms four squirrels under the hood, And strait sheet metal, for now
Bully Off Road
impboy65

Post by impboy65 »

Sorry guys, I let this thread die pretty much. I was more worried about finishing my Jeep I guess. Anyway, my jeep has been done since august 08. Here is the finished product.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =579641233
[]lllllll[]
xj4life

Post by xj4life »

Looks really nice!