XJ winch bumper

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

ROXROES

XJ winch bumper

Post by ROXROES »

So this weekends project was to begin on my buddies XJ. Got the front bumper done, rear bumper and sliders to come.
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

Dude thats sick. Any plans for a grill hoop or stinger on it. When I get ready for bumpers I'm gonna keep this in mind. I still love the tube style bumpers you did on your Grand. Schwing.
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
rockinxj00
TEC team
TEC team

Post by rockinxj00 »

im assuming that exact bumper would fit on an 89. how much would you charge for that exact bumper? I would get all the steel you would need, just need it welded up.
Hey Hold My Beer and Watch This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

I don't really see me having time to do any for a couple months. I've got a buggy coming in for some work next, and a JK Rubicon soon as well.

But I winged it on this one, so I want to measure it up and get it in CAD. That way I could look into maybe getting some cut out since I think it turned out really good and could maybe do them quicker. :D

As far as price goes, I think it would be around $350-400 powdercoated with the unshown d ring mounts as a rough guess. For a simple stinger it would add maybe $40 more. I'd need to have some demand to make it a priority.
moparmatt

Post by moparmatt »

Cool tires!
88 MJ SOA 33"
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

Looks good, do you have any pic's of the mounting and backside bracing?
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Yeah, and I know a guy that is patiently awaiting his turn for some tube work. 8)
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

I haven't put in the two web's that'll tie the winch plate into the front plate and lower skidplates yet. This Jeep is getting some unibody enhancements so I'm not running the plate back as far and putting in 4-1/2" grade 8 bolts on each side. The drivers side ties into the front two steering box bolts. If I were to sell them they would run back further and tie into the unibody more.
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

green50gt wrote:Yeah, and I know a guy that is patiently awaiting his turn for some tube work. 8)
I'll get yah in, I think I have found a reasonable hookup on DOM tube nearby.
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

ROXROES wrote:
green50gt wrote:Yeah, and I know a guy that is patiently awaiting his turn for some tube work. 8)
I'll get yah in, I think I have found a reasonable hookup on DOM tube nearby.
You sir rock. Thanks man. No hurry. A couple things gotta happen on my end first anyway.
GrantMLS

Post by GrantMLS »

WOW thats a great looking bumper!!
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

Thanks for the comments guys, we started on the rear yesterday afternoon. A few hours of plating and it'll be done. My sis was in town from Boston for the weekend so had to take a break. Its basically a rollpan with D-Ring mounts, with the usual funky platework.
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

My buddy works thirds so we only work on it on the weekends. Be off to s&b by the end of the week. Some 1/2 gussets to tie the d ring mounts into the front bumper. And one more hoop to put on the sliders and cap the ends, and trim up the mounting plates. I'll put a one inch weld on the bottom center of each mount that you can grind off. Just not enough room to put a bolt and keep them tight.
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

Off to S&P, have a decked out XJ by middle of next week.
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

Took it out for its maiden voyage weekend before last. No pics of the rear bumper, which I think looks friggin' nice. He picked some expensive powder, and also added a clearcoat. The S&P cost as much as the steel to build everything. :lol:

I've got at least 6 requests for a DIY kit for the front bumper with minimal effort. When I find time I'm going to design this up and sell kits.
BoilerCommander

Post by BoilerCommander »

Wow... that is AWESOME! Who did all of that work for you?
2006 4.7L V8 Commander QT-II: Modifications and Garage
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

BoilerCommander wrote:Wow... that is AWESOME! Who did all of that work for you?
That was all built in my garage. ;)
dragordie

Post by dragordie »

I would be greatly interested in the cost of a kit for the front bumper and the rail sliders.
Dave<><
Have A Blessed Day
Dave<><

It’s Hip to be a JEEP Builder
Wheeling For Christ
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

No desire to do a kit for sliders, too much custom mods required for this style and it would require a sophisticated jig to build them without the vehicle.

I'm hoping I can find time in the next few months to draw it up and put together a DIY kit that I can ship easily. But being a Design Engineer I prefer to do link suspensions and full vehicle builds since I like a challenge. ;)