Hitch mount spare tire carrier

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

BoilerCommander

Hitch mount spare tire carrier

Post by BoilerCommander »

I know I have mentioned this before, but I have been playing on thin ice without a full sized spare and need to get moving soon. I would like to get a spare tire carrier that mounts into a 2" hitch, and well, there arent too many options out there. Many places have them that swing out and hold a jerry can (not really something I need) but they are a ridiculous $650+! I found a guy that will make one for $350 shipped (pics below) that has a 2" receiver build in, swings down, lighted license plate bracket, powder coated, Hi-Lift Jack carrier, and custom fits the bolt pattern to my car. He is at http://www.cbioffroadfab.combut requires 50% down and then it takes 6 weeks. I still think $350 is pretty steep

I am wondering if anyone here can make one (maybe Shaun?) or if they know someone who can.... or if you think this is the best deal I can find and should go for it.
2006 4.7L V8 Commander QT-II: Modifications and Garage
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

If you would like to design this and get it for alot less come see me with plans. We can make anything. I dont charge much over steel cost for MJC members. Just not sure how long it will take us to design it. We don't sell or make the pins or bolts but if you think you can find those the steel, design, and powder coat is minimal.

Millmark Enterprises (full scale steel and fabrication shop with powder coat)

1935 markle avenue
elkhart, IN 46516
(574) 389-9904 office
Sales: Jay Squibb aka Swamp Thang
On a warm night when the JEEPS are quiet...you can hear a truck rust!
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

Swamp, what do you guys have for cutting (laser, waterjet, CNC plasma)? Assuming you can do forming as well, as long as I shoot you the blanked part and tell you where the centerline of each bend is?

I'll draw you up the plate for the tire mounting and shoot you the dxf. I could get you a bunch more bracket files for fabrication that you could cut out and sell on ebay as well. Gussets, link mounts, shock mounts, airshock mounts and the list goes on.

Sidetracking but I've been thinking about turning the latest XJ bumper I did into a DIY kit as well. Sure there are a couple members on here that would REALLY like one cheap........... :D

Just have to goto the dorman site and find out what size hole they need to clinch the wheel stud.
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Dude you are exactly the guy I want to talk to. The dxf files are what my laser turns into product.

If you have things like that to help me with or share, I see some free product in your future! :lol:
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

3 sheer machines, 3 hurco brake presses 400 ton, full weld shop, full powder coat line, 3 lasers, The double laser is an auto load and unload, cut saw, euromac stamp machine, full aluminum line as well.

www.millmarkenterprises.com
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

I'll see what I can do for yah. I am having quite a few requests for a DIY version of my XJ front winch bumper. Just have to find time to draw it up. Then I would like to cut one and fit it to make sure its cool then maybe run 5 or so.

I'll see if I can shoot you a page of dxf files to add to your arsenal within the next few days. I've been looking/thinking about finding someone local to get hooked up with for laser cutting, forming etc.

Shoot me your email for the files to croes@mchsi.com.

Thanks bud,
Chris
BoilerCommander

AWESOME! I am not going to lie, I am a little lost between in the preceding conversation, but believe it still makes sense. I don’t know what all you need from me template-wise and would be happy to meet up to discuss at any time. I live pretty much on County Road/Ash road.

From my searching, there is nothing else like this out there that is a hitch mount and has a receiver built in. As I mentioned, there is the one above for $335+ from cbi that no one really knows about: http://www.yotatech.com/f2/cbi-tire-car ... ed-109234/
And then there are expensive ones like the Hitchgate from Tiregate for $650 + shipping (scroll down http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/TireGate/TireGate.htm)
and this one from the Commander fabber for $549 - $629 + about $125 shipping (about 16 pages of design here). Just searching for “hitch mount tire carrier” popped up a lot of useful information from various Toyota and off road sites about DIYers (some aren’t very good looking).
DIY 1 From Yotatech.com
DIY 2

Regardless, I just would like a simple one that folds down, has a mount for the spare, license plate, and a place to mount a hi-lift jack. I think the others would be too involved/expensive. I have a couple more pictures from cbi of the hinge area is you would like them. Again, let me know what we need to get this project going! Could be fun and sounds like something you could possibly sell.
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Boiler you got anytime after 4 pm thursday or friday to just sit down at my shop and talk? We can look at some of these photos and yak about what you want to accomplish. Maybe even take some measurements.

Millmark Enterprises
1935 Markle Avenue
Elkhart, IN
574-389-9904

Jay aka Swamp Thang
BoilerCommander

Thanks Jay

Either day would work for me. I know you said after 4, but what time works best for you? If I did it this week I would struggle to make it out there around 5 (I work downtown South Bend). I would hate for you to stay late but let me know what works best. If you would like to meet up around 4, I can try to get out early or we could probably also shoot for next week sometime

Thanks again!
Aaron
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Aaron

Dont worry about getting out early. Just come over thursday night after work. Do not hurry. Dude I left the office tonight after 6 pm and that is usual. I get alot done when nobody is around. Actually Koobi came by around 4 and we drilled and tapped his front knuckle. You got the office number and my cell number is in the thread with all the members numbers. If something comes up just call. I dont have a problem waiting if I know you are coming.

Jay
BoilerCommander

Sounds good - And I agree, I get my best work done after everyone leaves the office at 5 too
LT1-YJ-on-39.5-IROKS

Post by LT1-YJ-on-39.5-IROKS »

I actually have all of the steel for that in stock b/c I am building tire carriers for our Daystar bumpers. If it falls though with Swamp let me know.
01 TJ LA and 37s
82 Dodge 1 ton on 38s
06 Cummins MegaCab on 37s
Tube Chassis Parts......
BoilerCommander

Hey Jay - I got there around 5:30 and there were no cars there so I called and knocked on the door. Must have just missed you but it was pretty easy to find (it is a pretty big place!)

I don't know if my message from earlier went through, it shows up in my outbox but not sent, so you can ignore it if you get it later. We can figure out another time that works for you next week, just let me know
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

I screwed up. I was thinkin this was wednesday all day. I got a call at 5 and left in a hurry for the other side of south bend. I sent you a pm with my cell. Call me and we can re-schedule. Sorry bout that.
BoilerCommander

Jay - thanks again for meeting with me today. You had a ton of good ideas and I can't wait to see how they turn out! I'm still up so I figured I might as well tell you what I found. My bolt pattern is definitely 5x5 (same as the 07 JK) but I need to get the exact distance for you still. The spare tire adapter one of the guys used was this one (from:http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/pr ... t=0&page=1 )

I will try and get more exact measurements for the diameter and bolt distance over the next couple days
BoilerCommander

update - The 5x5 pattern is indeed 5" from the center of one stud to the center of the other stud directly across from it. So each line in the triangle you were looking for is exactly 5" from center to center
Last edited by BoilerCommander on May 15th, 2009, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

cool thank you!
BoilerCommander

Scratch that, got some bad intel. This one guy actually wrote this whole long explination and ran some calculations out :
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/sho ... stcount=45
The bolt pattern has 5 studs located equidistant from each other on a 5 inch CIRCLE (in 72° increments) ... there's no studs that will measure 5 inches from each other as they are no two studs located "directly across from each other" on that circle.

If the stud pattern on the Commander is in fact exactly 5" in diameter, that adjacent studs would measure 2.939" center to center that's called the cord length ... in the picture that would be the distance from center to center on the studs on the yellow line

The 5 x 5" must refer to the diameter of the plate instead, or just be a general term
The next distance is from the center of the yellow line in this picture ... To the stud at the top ... that's 4.5225" again center to center on the studs .. the green and red lines would be 4.76" center to center on the studs

Keep in mind this is IF in fact the Jeep uses EXACTLY a 5" bolt circle, I know it's always called a 5" bolt circle .. but I don’t know if that an exact measurement or if it's a nominal size they just use.

If someone can verify the jeep uses exactly a 5" bolt circle that would be great, and maybe even if someone wanted to check my calculations too?

To make things better, one guy found a template on a trailer forum that will print out to scale. He held it up to his bolt pattern, measured the distances above, and found the above measurements to be correct. But we could probably just use this as a template (and you can use the other bolt patterns for other vehicles later) :
http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... ircle2.jpg <- click on this link, and then click full size if the above picture doesnt work
BoilerCommander

I was thinking, it would be cool to build some form of rear skid plate that welds into the rear steel bumper and comes out under the hitch. It could be thin like this:
Swamp Thang
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Its like christmas lookin at all this new stuff we can build.