A hole lota heat

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

dragordie

A hole lota heat

Post by dragordie »

Ok since our visit to AM General proving grounds I had to remove all my carpet, not a big thing. My problem is driving down the road the passenger can melt their tenny runners to the floor. My exhaust is not up against the floor. But I have a lot of heat. My question is this cant be normal or is it ??
Dave<><
Have A Blessed Day
Dave<><

It’s Hip to be a JEEP Builder
Wheeling For Christ
Run4lo

Post by Run4lo »

I know on the TJ there is actually a sticker under the carpet that says you can have intense heat in the floor by removing the carpet.
If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

try using that wrap stuff around the exhaust there under the floor you can get it at auto zone its normally used for headers and stuff but should work
88 cherokee pioneer chrysler 8.25 dana 30
6.5 inch lift 35" procomp xterrains
dragordie

Post by dragordie »

I was kinda thinking of taking some metal between the exhaust and under body. The wrap stuff would also work. Just was seeing if anyone else has the same experiance
Dave<><
Have A Blessed Day
Dave<><

Wheeling For Christ
CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

i know the floor on my yj get pretty warm from the exhaust i have my carpet out but i have some rubber floor mats so its not as warm
VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici »

It's normal ,I've run w/o carpet in a couple XJs You can fry eggs & bacon or feet on thf floorpan

Roland
91 XJ 2d 36" TSLs,6.5 lift ,d30 fr.,d44 rear, locked w/ 4:88s Warn 9.5xp,dual optimas, and alot more. and soon to come rear disc breaks
Buckle Up or Get Out I'm About To Try Something!!
CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

yea id do the wrap and maybe some metal too
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Cat converter is right there and it doesn't start to work until it's 1100 degrees. A heat shield may help as alot of cats don't have them or have lost them to rust.
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
jeepdj
MJC member
MJC member

Post by jeepdj »

I have never sat over there..........
03 Grand Cherokee WJ, which stand for WILD JEEP. JK 17's, BFG Muds, 3" lift,
Stillen Big Brakes/Rotors,front tow hooks, rear D ring, cargo basket.
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

I have been thinking about trying this stuff http://www.lizardskin.com/pages/ceramic.php ,it looked pretty good at the custom car show booth but who knows in person what you might get.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
xj4life

Post by xj4life »

I dont run carpet in my XJ, it gets a little warm but not to the point of melting anything. My buddy doesnt run carpet in his MJ and his floor seems to be quite a bit hotter. Maybe there's something with the older unibodies.

Sounds kind of ghetto but you could add some air bake cookie sheets to the underside of the floor to act as heat shields.
dragordie

Post by dragordie »

Funny you should mention the air bake cookie sheets, I made that same suggestion to the wife when we was on our way back from the autism run. She looked at me as if I was stupid. Well just because she has a collage degree to make and sell drugs doesn't make her shop smart. LOL.
Have A Blessed Day
Dave<><

Wheeling For Christ
tabfinder
MJC member
MJC member

heat

Post by tabfinder »

Take out the cat.....heat problem nearly solved. Use your wrap and cookie sheets by the replacement pipe and it will be cool as a cucumber :D
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ; Rustys Longarm with 9 1/2" total lift; Aftermarket heavy duty bumpers; 35" Goodyear Kevlars on Mickey Thompson rims, gearing and transfer case work to handle them, roof rack, hilift jack, Hellas, Sony 6 speaker sound system.
slaytman
MJC member
MJC member

Re: heat

Post by slaytman »

tabfinder wrote:Take out the cat.....heat problem nearly solved. Use your wrap and cookie sheets by the replacement pipe and it will be cool as a cucumber :D
I'll have to try the cookie sheet..I have no cat. I have molded Husky mats up front which help alot. They start to rise when water comes up through the plugs..fun to watch
Retired Prez 09-20 , Founder VP 07-09
When Life Takes A Turn Lean Into It
JOTM-Jan2008, 00 TJ
slaytman youtube channel