New Black Box Fabrication XJ Winch bumper

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

xj4life

New Black Box Fabrication XJ Winch bumper

Post by xj4life »

XJ owner out in Virginia asked me to build him a winch bumper. Offered up several designs and this is the one he picked. Wasn't my first choice but after seeing it on an actual XJ I'm starting to like it. He wanted something that would hold a standard 9K winch, simple in design, and relatively light.

Basics of the bumper:

- 3/16" shell
- 3/16" winch plate :eek: with addtional ribbing on the underside
- 3/4" d-ring mounts that travel back to 1/4" frame plates
- Frame plates are seperate pieces for easier shipping and helps make mounting the bumper easier.

Some of the additional features I added:

- Winch plate sides were scalloped in order to keep the bumper profile as slim as possible and still clear the winch.
- Drain slots on the back of the winch plate.

I think some tube work would look really good on this bumper and bounced some ideas off him. Waiting for a response.

Overall I'm pretty happy how this one turned out. May be a few tweaks here and there before I take it into production but overall pretty happy. Also using a new vendor for some of the pieces and have a few things to work out with them.

On to the pictures. Didnt have the right length bolts so the wood is there to keep the bumper where it should be when everything is tighted up. And unfortunately it wont fit on my trail XJ so I had to test fit on my little stocker :(

dragordie

Post by dragordie »

Hey Chris if you need to display it You can put it on my Cherokee. Your bumper would go good with my new tires & wheels.
Dave<><
Have A Blessed Day
Dave<><

It’s Hip to be a JEEP Builder
Wheeling For Christ
xj4life

Post by xj4life »

dragordie wrote:Hey Chris if you need to display it You can put it on my Cherokee. Your bumper would go good with my new tires & wheels.
Dave<><
Might need something to show it on for the next revision. What tire/wheels did you get?
xj4life

Post by xj4life »

FYI, this new bumper will be called the XJFW-100