yj/tj rear bumper...

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

yj/tj rear bumper...

Post by The Bandit »

so heres my new rear bumper thats in the works.. what do you guys think? the tire mount can be adjusted in and out depending on tire size, spring loaded lock to hold carrier open once its opened all the way, the spindle is made for 37" tires and the latch is a destaco 341-r (2000 lb) which has a safty built in so it wont pop open goin down the road. shackle mounts, hitch, and spindle welded front and back for extra strength.
JOTM Feb 2011

A Jeep is a set of legos, the possibilities are truly endless!

93 GC 5.2L 4" zone lift, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich KM2,black rock 15x8 wheels, KOR radiator support w/ snatch points, T-case skid plate. rock sliders. front winch bumper comeing soon!!
xj4life

Re: yj/tj rear bumper...

Post by xj4life »

The Bandit wrote:spring loaded lock to hold carrier open once its opened all the way,
spring loaded or the pin shown in the models? i would think i'd have to be a pretty strong spring to keep it in the open position.
Run4lo

Post by Run4lo »

That is nice. What would you be looking to sell them for?
If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

With this mounting style, i would suggest your plates be 1/4". Make sure you mount to the underside of the frame too, that could bend the frame - or rip right off - ask jeepdj.
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

im thinkin $450..
thanks derek... the bumper is 1/4" wall and the carrier is 3/16" wall. and the mounting plates are actually 3/8". thanks for reminding me about the bolt hole under it. my POS bumper on there now dont have it bolted under there and i forgot
JOTM Feb 2011

93 GC 5.2L 4" zone lift, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich KM2,black rock 15x8 wheels, KOR radiator support w/ snatch points, T-case skid plate. rock sliders. front winch bumper comeing soon!!
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

I understand the meaning of beef, however you could still have a VERY stout bumper with 3/16 and the carrier be 1/8". You'd have a lot less $$ in it too. I'd still leave the plates 1/4" though. Just my 2cents.

Here I used just as im talking and 1/8" was never a problem. I didn't even use gussets.

The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

well the original plan was to use 3/16 for the bumper but the place where i get metal dont have any 2x4-3/16. it will be well built to carry around a 37" tire on the worst of trails and should never have a problem. i think next time i get metal i will go with 1/8 carrier metal though... thanks for your input!
JOTM Feb 2011

The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

thanks again... bottom bolt holes are on...
JOTM Feb 2011

The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

xj4life... im sorry, i just seen your question, some how i completly skipped over it. there is a pin that is on the hinge that will be spring loaded pushing the pin into a hole thus locking it. you'll have to pull the pin up to be able to shut the carrier. just kind of a safty thing so it wont open to far, the wind cant blow it everywhere and it wont swing all over the place if some how you forget to shut it and take off. any more questions and/or commets please feel free!!
JOTM Feb 2011

CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

looks nice interested to see the final product
88 cherokee pioneer chrysler 8.25 dana 30
6.5 inch lift 35" procomp xterrains
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

thank you dave.. i'm in the process of collecting the parts right now
JOTM Feb 2011

tabfinder
MJC member
MJC member

Falling apart

Post by tabfinder »

erschrader wrote:How are you coming with the bumpers I need one before my Jeep falls apart with age...... :lol:
Hey Ed...just put some Polygrip on it and slap it back together! :lol: :lol:
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ; Rustys Longarm with 9 1/2" total lift; Aftermarket heavy duty bumpers; 35" Goodyear Kevlars on Mickey Thompson rims, gearing and transfer case work to handle them, roof rack, hilift jack, Hellas, Sony 6 speaker sound system.
tazmangk
CV team
CV team

Post by tazmangk »

I'd be interested in one....Do they come in RED to match my RED Jeep! :lol:
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

We can paint it any color you want! This is a front bumper i built for my brother that is BRIGHT red! well when its clean
JOTM Feb 2011

tazmangk
CV team
CV team

Post by tazmangk »

lol..looks good!
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

well here is where we are with the bumper... the spindle, tire mount, and d-ring tabs are shipped and should be here in a couple days.. the latch is ordered but has not shipped yet...

mounted on my RED jeep... lol the tire carrier kind of fills in the body lift gap from the rear..

JOTM Feb 2011

Rubble

WOW Progress

Post by Rubble »

See with a little prodding Travis gets his butt in gear
03 Wrangler a few add ons
93 ZJ winter beater (sold)
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

All I need is $$$$$ and I can do almost anything u want
JOTM Feb 2011

The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

I can do that but I'm guessing you'll like t all black better. ;) travis
JOTM Feb 2011

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici »

Ed when You wake up in the morning, does everything appear RED, just wondering LOL

Roland
91 XJ 2d 36" TSLs,6.5 lift ,d30 fr.,d44 rear, locked w/ 4:88s Warn 9.5xp,dual optimas, and alot more. and soon to come rear disc breaks
Buckle Up or Get Out I'm About To Try Something!!