TJ trailer build

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

green50gt

TJ trailer build

Post by green50gt »

I might have too many projects going on currently, but I have always wanted to do one of these....they are so cute!

Bought from www.daveysjeeps.com. Frame section, rear tub, and roll bar. First quick task is to get it rolling. Need all for control arms, a junk but working 35, wheels and tires. This should enable me to move it around semi easily. After this I suspect it will be very slow going. Almost certain the wife will not appreciate this sitting around.

By the time it's all said and done it will be lifted, painted, rock bumper, spare tire, and really cute.

Should I use a pintle hook for its huge range of motion and extremely limited failures and deal with the noise, or do a regular ball setup?

It appears to be a rubicon, so I'll be unoriginal and call it rubitrailer.

Zuk
MJC member
MJC member

Re: TJ trailer build

Post by Zuk »

So much for it being a "secret" ! :smt003 Get with Mr Fox. He may still have Josh`s rear end....
2001 Sahara, 4.0, auto, Rubicon express 5.5" long arm, Rubicon Dana 44's front and rear, OE air locker in front, ARB air locker in rear, 37" Mastercraft MXT's, 4.10's, Tera 2low, SYE, Currie Anti rock in front, Currie rock sliders, Barricade rear armor, Tmax 9k competition winch, Tmax 2.5k suck down winch in rear :)
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

Pintle and deal with the noise.... Way better "if" you are going to wheel it.
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

zuk524 wrote:So much for it being a "secret" ! :smt003 Get with Mr Fox. He may still have Josh`s rear end....
I know right.. I was too excited and told too many people already.. I am told Josh's axle is unuseable, but I have another one sourced! Have all the control arms and a track bar as well. Not sure if a sway bar is even needed, but have access to one none the less. Have tires, and have wheels. My LiteDOT's had a problem so ORO sent me a new set - so I might use my old LiteDOT's on this.
speeduck wrote:Pintle and deal with the noise.... Way better "if" you are going to wheel it.
Don't really have any plans of wheeling it. I would like to take it up to silver lake but from what I hear this sort of thing would not be allowed up there?
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

i say regular hitch, and yes ,no trailers on the dunes, they stopped that a few years ago, you going to keep the roll bar on it, put a top on it like a conastoga wagon :)
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

if you never going to go offroad, then standard ball hitch is the way to go.
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Here is my new Jeep and a half on its way home just as I type! HORRAY!!

green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Well got the Jeeps home the other day. I am pretty dissapointed in the tub - has a good buckle in it. I may end up needing to buy a new tub sadly. None the less, I have an axle and some of the suspension under it. Thanks to
Sandfox
Tabfinder
Moneyshot
, and
T.Barrett 01 TJ
thus far for all the parts!! I have a stick of 2x2x3/16" that is going to act as the tongue, but I will need some more 2x4 to complete the rest of the frame - if anyone has any laying around!! :)

It is likely going to sit like this for awhile. I need to start and finish the white Jeep pictured before I go any farther on this.

green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Nothing earth moving, but cut the cage out of this fellow today. See... Literally hiding under a tree at the back corner of my property. I have a tailgate coming for it. thats all.

green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Rubitrailer spent a night in the garage, thought I was going to work on it. Cleaned a bunch of crap metal out of it, washed it out, and somewhat put on a rust free tailgate. Back outside for reasons I'll mention another time. I figured out both tires are rubbing the coil buckets, so unfortunely I have to invest in some wheel spacers. That's all for a few weeks. :D
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

LOL, well here is what the last couple months has netted me...

Tailgate, hinges(thanks again SVTKev for the hookup on the part thingy), spare mount, and spare gambler wheel with smoked tire, and tub is now unbolted.

The two 33's and black ravines are going away just as soon as I can come up with a couple gamblers to replace them.

I have a WONDERFUL lead on another rear TJ tub that is supposedly in good shape. Best part is it's not too far. Im going to get the tub part squared away before I start jacking with the frame..
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

My silver Jeep is out at the fab shop getting some work done, so I brough the trailer in the garage to do a little work this weekend.

Flares removed, some scrap metal cleaned out. I hope to cut the tub in half this week sometime before the silver Jeep comes back.

Notice how this whole side is bowed out? Thanks daveysjeeps for making this a fun project!! :evil:

All for now. Have to get the tub together before I can determine what I want to do with the frame. Need lots and lots of part. Rubi flares, steel, wheel spacers, Nice gambler wheels, 35" MTR's, then other than that - time, lots of time. :(
radrick

Post by radrick »

green50gt wrote:
Hey I recognize that tail gate, I hope it works for you.
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Thanks Rick, works great! Too bad I dropped it and damaged the one corner...whoops. I cut the tub in half I'll have to update pics. I hope to get the other half sometime this week?
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Been a while since I have updated this. Got my hands on the second tub, cut the last 1/4 off of it, cut the last 1/4 off the rubi half, and now both 1/4's sit at Sandfox's house to be mated together.

Tub will come back, test fit on the frame, then go out for final bodywork and paint - frame will go off to be built.

Lots of stuff needed in very little time - needs to be done by June 12th.

CJ Tailgate, 3-35" kevlars, all the steel, VIN, Title, Plates, Insurance, Wiring, Tailights, all the CORRECT suspension bolts, tub bolts and rubber mounts, jack, think thats about it.

Black ravines sold, gamblers have been acquired.

green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Mocking all up, lots to do in very little time!

green50gt

Post by green50gt »

More metal work to be done, but more of a "trailer" status.

TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Are you going to make it longer and extend it to the front of the frame or is it just going to be that box section?
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Not sure I understand what you are asking?
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

green50gt wrote:Not sure I understand what you are asking?

cause your dumb,, simple answer is no :D but it will seem to be longer when its done :smt017
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06