paint/rust removal then repaint help

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

MoD

paint/rust removal then repaint help

Post by MoD »

I had someone paint my roof rack for me a few months ago because i was too busy with work. Well he painted it with the wrong paint and it is already rusting and i would love to have it fixed the right way before the winter.

so without a sand blaster, what do you recommend to take the old paint and rust off?

after I get it all off what do I need to do to make sure this doesnt happen again? self etching primer, 3 coats of other primer and then the final paint?

the other thing it that i suck at painting...be it rattle can or roll on...
05 silver rocky mountain edition liberty, OME HD spring/shock, JBA UCAs, ARB, smittybilt xrc8, 15" mic tuning led bar, 2 hella rallye 4000s, mopar skid w/ boiler radiator skid, AllJ transmission skid, skidrow transfer case and mopar tank skid, AllJ bolder bars, ROCKLIZARD gecko basket, goodyear duratrac 245/75/16s, headlights rewired and upgraded, LED interior and reverse and tail lights
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Re: paint/rust removal then repaint help

Post by Mediocre »

Self etching primer is for bare metal so that is not necessary at this point. The old fashion way to strip it down would work best, sandpaper. I would use an angled air grinder with a 3" sanding disk to take off the loose paint and rust. I am sure most of the paint is sticking, for that you can rough it up so the new paint has something to bite into. I wouldn't prime it, just use some Duplicolor bed liner spray cans if you are planning on black. If you want regular paint then I would use Rustoleum primer and color.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
MoD

Re: paint/rust removal then repaint help

Post by MoD »

I love the idea of bed liner but I suck at painting and i think regular paint may hide that better. plus i bought paint stripper today and i have an angle grinder with a wire wheel just in case. I plan on knocking all the paint and rust off and starting fresh. i bought rust prevention rustolium which can be applied directly to steel it says. Then i plan to paint over that but yes black is the color i am going with...
05 silver rocky mountain edition liberty, OME HD spring/shock, JBA UCAs, ARB, smittybilt xrc8, 15" mic tuning led bar, 2 hella rallye 4000s, mopar skid w/ boiler radiator skid, AllJ transmission skid, skidrow transfer case and mopar tank skid, AllJ bolder bars, ROCKLIZARD gecko basket, goodyear duratrac 245/75/16s, headlights rewired and upgraded, LED interior and reverse and tail lights