Clear Coat

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

Hana Hou
MJC member
MJC member

Clear Coat

Post by Hana Hou »

So I got a scratch on my red JK 2011. My step dad used rubbing compound and it worked nicely.....BUT it took off some of the clear coat. I can keep waxing to make it almost non-existant but every time I wash my JK its dull again. Anything I can do to make it last longer? Or anything I can use to clear coat the one spot? Prob 3 in by 6 in spot.
RED LAVA
Red JK 4D 2011
2014 June JOTM
2" Zone Lift
33 DuraTrac Tires w/17" Rockstar, Custom Top Hoist
Hitch, KC Windshield & Bar Lights, Smitty Built Side Steps, Aftermarket front Bumper
12000 lb winch
"Girls Like it Topless & Dirty"
1998 Purple TJ Sport (Purple Turtle)
6 cyl 5 speed
4:10 gears, 33" DuraTrac tires
custom painted flatfenders, smitty built front stinger bumper, light bar w 4 KC lights
2.5 rc spring lift, 1.25 body lift, 1" motor mount lift
Purple Spider Shade, instatrunk ,
Hana Hou
MJC member
MJC member

Re: Clear Coat

Post by Hana Hou »

You can't tell unless you are right up on it ----- but still is bugging me.
RED LAVA
Red JK 4D 2011
2014 June JOTM
2" Zone Lift
Hitch, KC Windshield & Bar Lights, Smitty Built Side Steps, Aftermarket front Bumper
12000 lb winch
6 cyl 5 speed
custom painted flatfenders, smitty built front stinger bumper, light bar w 4 KC lights
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

was he doing it by hand ? or a buffer ? after compounding you need to polish the area to remove compound scratches, unless he really did cut thru the clear, then sanding and reclearing the area is your only option
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
Hana Hou
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Hana Hou »

He was doing it by hand. He used the compound and then took it off maybe a total of 5 times. Each time the scratch looked better. The scratch finally is almost nonexistant but then was dull area. So we waxed it, and waxed it and waxed it. It looked back to normal but when I ran it through the touchless wash (hate the car washes with the rags or spinny things), it was dull again. My bf used a different wax and its lasting longer. Can't see it much but figure when I give it a good wash it may dull out agian.

Maybe have to bring it to a paint place... not like I won't get scratches on it... but would rather say - That one came from a big rock I wanted to climb or from the dunes :smt003 .... not "I dropped my top and scratched my Jeep :cry:
RED LAVA
Red JK 4D 2011
2014 June JOTM
2" Zone Lift
12000 lb winch
6 cyl 5 speed
Hana Hou
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Hana Hou »

Oh and Thanks for the help :)
RED LAVA
Red JK 4D 2011
2014 June JOTM
2" Zone Lift
12000 lb winch
6 cyl 5 speed
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Another question on this topic: While at the Badlands I got a scratch going down the side of my Jeep from a stick which made a light to medium scuff on the clear coat. What is the best method to make it disappear? I've got an electric hand waxer. Will I need an actual buffer? What is the best wax to use? Anything else I need to do?
Sandfox any thoughts?
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

Since it is
RED
. Bring it by my place to look at, PM sent with address/phone.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

TFERV wrote:Another question on this topic: While at the Badlands I got a scratch going down the side of my Jeep from a stick which made a light to medium scuff on the clear coat. What is the best method to make it disappear? I've got an electric hand waxer. Will I need an actual buffer? What is the best wax to use? Anything else I need to do?
Sandfox any thoughts?
Dave is the paint guy but I like shiny things so I will chime in. Wax is a protectant and doesn't contain any abrasives. It leaves a film on top of the paint to protect from the elements. So it really won't take out any scratches. A polish contains very fine granules to actually a fine layer of the clearcoat eliminating swirl marks and very fine scratches. For bigger scratches then use a rubbing compound first and just like in sanding when you move to a finer grit you then move to a polish to remove the earlier scratches from the rubbing compound. There are also several "Scratch Remover" products out there that are really just a light rubbing compound that can be applied by hand.

But after using a polish you need to apply a good wax as polishes do not leave a protective film like wax or silicone.
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
Hana Hou
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Hana Hou »

Mediocre wrote:Since it is
RED
. Bring it by my place to look at, PM sent with address/phone.

Thanks!
RED
is best HAHAHAHAHA

Think it is better. Actually much better... but I will keep that in mind if I ever have another prob. Brought it off roading a little this Fri and didn't get a scratch lol don't scratch it when I am off roading - only when taking top off lol
RED LAVA
Red JK 4D 2011
2014 June JOTM
2" Zone Lift
12000 lb winch
6 cyl 5 speed
sandfox
CV team
CV team

Post by sandfox »

Mediocre wrote:
TFERV wrote:Another question on this topic: While at the Badlands I got a scratch going down the side of my Jeep from a stick which made a light to medium scuff on the clear coat. What is the best method to make it disappear? I've got an electric hand waxer. Will I need an actual buffer? What is the best wax to use? Anything else I need to do?
Sandfox any thoughts?
Dave is the paint guy but I like shiny things so I will chime in. Wax is a protectant and doesn't contain any abrasives. It leaves a film on top of the paint to protect from the elements. So it really won't take out any scratches. A polish contains very fine granules to actually a fine layer of the clearcoat eliminating swirl marks and very fine scratches. For bigger scratches then use a rubbing compound first and just like in sanding when you move to a finer grit you then move to a polish to remove the earlier scratches from the rubbing compound. There are also several "Scratch Remover" products out there that are really just a light rubbing compound that can be applied by hand.

But after using a polish you need to apply a good wax as polishes do not leave a protective film like wax or silicone.

well said joe !
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

My daughter bought a car last week and the headlights were yellowed and cloudy. I used the 3m restoration system which is just a 3" drill backing plate with sand paper of varying grits, 500, 800, 3000(wet) and then a polishing compound. After the first couple grits you are saying, "what have I done?" as it turns completely white and opaque. But then when you get to the wet sanding it is clear and then the polish, "OMG!" they look brand new! This is plastic but the same principle applies to smooth the surface. Your dad did the first stage, opaque, and then didn't follow through with the finer grits to get to the "OMG!" stage.
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
Hana Hou
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Hana Hou »

Thanks! Def good to know!
RED LAVA
Red JK 4D 2011
2014 June JOTM
2" Zone Lift
12000 lb winch
6 cyl 5 speed
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

sandfox wrote:
Mediocre wrote: A polish contains very fine granules to actually a fine layer of the clearcoat eliminating swirl marks and very fine scratches. For bigger scratches then use a rubbing compound first and just like in sanding when you move to a finer grit you then move to a polish to remove the earlier scratches from the rubbing compound. There are also several "Scratch Remover" products out there that are really just a light rubbing compound that can be applied by hand.
well said joe !
Thanks guys. In the past I've used some liquid clear coat touch up and "scratch remover" wax (didn't really work) but this sounds new to me. I'll have to look into it.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image