Straps

Any towing and winching discussions incl..towing accessories, Hijack, Straps, Links, winches, air inflators, jacks, ect.

Moderator: Tec Team

moparmatt

Straps

Post by moparmatt »

Where is the best deal on recovery straps?

Mostly looking for 20K 2" 20' loops both ends?

Any brands you like better? Why?
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

Got mine at TSC, good price and works pretty dam good.
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
moparmatt

Post by moparmatt »

xjjeepthing wrote:Got mine at TSC, good price and works pretty dam good.

Thats funny, me too.

I was kinda expecting someone to say pro comp, warn, or something along those lines.
BODE

Post by BODE »

Id buy a 3'' regardless of what length you chose
98 tj 4'' lift 33'' mud rovers.
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

3 inch x 30 ft new from 4wheel drive parts $34.99 (new flier in todays mail)
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
BODE

Post by BODE »

thats the way to go.
whatsup1287

Post by whatsup1287 »

I would buy 3" min, I have a 4" wide one right now, and i wouldn't buy anything smaller for myself.
2004 LJ - Huge lift, little tires, go fast chrome!
2006 mega cab cummins
1994 YJ
1999 Xj
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

Try Hoosier supply I got a 4" x 30' 30K for $25 a few years ago.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
OiRadio47

Post by OiRadio47 »

6" wide to snag them H2's off of dune peaks :p
BODE

Post by BODE »

too wide and you dont get enough stretch 3'' min 4'' max just my opinion and experiences for a jeep if your yanking around full size trucks then go bigger
dirkrc51

Post by dirkrc51 »

We use 3" x 30' Warn straps pretty regulary to recover 8,000lb trucks, with very few failures.

Just make sure it is a recovery trap, and not a multi-use strap. Also make sure there are no cuts or frays. NEVER connect two straps together with a clevis and clean them if they become full of dirt and mud.

Mile Marker sells a 20' stap to be used as a recovery strap and tree saver. The Mile Marker stap doesn't seem work as well.
97 TJ LT1
VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici »

I'll ride with Bode on this one min. 3" max.4"a 2" makes a good tree saver because you're not yanking you're winching !
If you've ever yanked on a 2" and had it break taking your back glass or liftgate you'd understand
Roland :smt021
91 XJ 2d 36" TSLs,6.5 lift ,d30 fr.,d44 rear, locked w/ 4:88s Warn 9.5xp,dual optimas, and alot more. and soon to come rear disc breaks
Buckle Up or Get Out I'm About To Try Something!!
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Re: Straps

Post by TFERV »

I know this is an old page but my statement fits the topic.
I just found a great deal and thought I would share it!
I just bought this heavy duty strap for only $15!
If you type in the Coupon Code: BF1484 it will give you free shipping until March 19th!
Now I can pull all those Hummers and Toyotas out! :) See you at Jones!

Click link: http://bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb. ... sho2194124&
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

That is a TOW strap not a recovery strap. It is made for towing a vehicle from point A to point B or would work as a sling for lifting. It is not designed for recovery so there is no stretch built into it. That's why it is so cheap, its non-giving polyester not nylon so its not the same.

See article http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Shoot. Thanks for the the info. I will keep that in mind the next time I buy a strap.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
FyrFytr704

Post by FyrFytr704 »

I get my recovery straps (kinetic) from Master Pull. They're cheaper than Bubba Rope, but still not all that cheap. They're worth it though. Just make sure that you get the right strap for what you plan to do with it. The guys there are really helpful and will help you save some cash off of what the prices normally are.
'04 Rubicon, high-lined, stretched to 104" wb, and armored
Stock 4.0, trans., and t-case
HP D60 front - ARB and 3-linked, D60 rear - Spooled and 4-linked, 5.38 gears, PSC assist, 40" LTB's
FINALLY out on the trail after 2 years in the making!
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

What about this strap? It's a Keeper recovery at a price I can afford.
http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-02942-30-R ... m_sbs_sg_8
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

Yes, that one is fine. But I am in the group that prefers a smaller strap for a smaller vehicle, they are rated by vehicle size 2" is good to a 7k vehicle. I use a 2" strap for my Jeep. You get more stretch with a thinner strap. A 4" strap is for up to a 10k vehicle so there will be very little stretch. I have never seen a 2" strap break on a normal vehicle size recovery unless it was already frayed or cut.
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Mediocre wrote:Yes, that one is fine. But I am in the group that prefers a smaller strap for a smaller vehicle, they are rated by vehicle size 2" is good to a 7k vehicle. I use a 2" strap for my Jeep. You get more stretch with a thinner strap. A 4" strap is for up to a 10k vehicle so there will be very little stretch. I have never seen a 2" strap break on a normal vehicle size recovery unless it was already frayed or cut.
That would seem about right to me. My LJ is only about 5k lbs so I would think a 2" or a strap of vehicle weight 7k lbs would be about right. But everyone says that you should get a 3" (min) or 4" (max) strap which would be about 15k to 20k vehicle lbs (Breaking lbs of 30k to 40k). So this is all confusing to me. Yes, I don't want the strap to break and Yes, I want enough stretch. I would think that if you got a strap with a breaking lb of more than 20k you would risk busting off your 10k lb tow hook (breaking lbs of 20k lbs) and that is never good. So... I am a little confused as to what is the right strap should be.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

Do the math. Each inch equates to about 10,000lbs of breaking strength. So a 2" strap will take about 20,000lbs or 4 times the weight of a 5k Jeep. Your Jeep is probably less than 5k but good to figure fully loaded. Your 10k lb hook will break at half of a 2" strap's breaking point.

But its up to you, if you feel better about a 3" strap then go ahead. But I would definitely avoid a 4" or larger, it would be like using a solid chain with no flex. Definitely would jerk if you just need to tug. Think of a 5-10mph accident sudden stop in reverse.
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]