stuck hitch

Any towing and winching discussions incl..towing accessories, Hijack, Straps, Links, winches, air inflators, jacks, ect.

Moderator: Tec Team

tdad

stuck hitch

Post by tdad »

Ive got a 2" hitch rusted in the recever. its not on the jeep yet any ideas on how to get it out. with out a torch . thanks for any help
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Lots of PB Blaster and the drop test! Perhaps even a large hammer!
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
tdad

Post by tdad »

thats kind of what I"m doin' I've got it hangin in the garage hitch up, spraying it with pentrat oil and hit it with a 5lbs sledge.
CapnDave

Post by CapnDave »

we had one at tylers where i used to work where we sprayed it and beaqt on it and hooked a chain to it and it never did come out
88 cherokee pioneer chrysler 8.25 dana 30
6.5 inch lift 35" procomp xterrains
tdad

Post by tdad »

well if is not free when I'm read to mount it I guess thats the way it will be for ever and ever amen
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Maybe we'll learn from this and remember to grease the reciever before we put the hitch in there.
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
ROXROES

Post by ROXROES »

I would suggest using a propane or acetylene torch to heat up the square receiver housing the hitch goes into. This should help it expand, which will hopefully break up the rust bonding that is going on. Once its hot, beat/impulse it all over that area with a sledge.
tdad

Post by tdad »

Thanks for all the ideas. Mounted it on the jeep yesterday . Still stuck. The good thing is the ball is the right size for both of the trailers I have.
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

I was able to get a few of them out by hitting it with an air hammer and spraying PB in the gap at the same time, do all four sides, and wear somthing you don't care to much about becouse it makes one heck of a mess.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front