Custom Steel Bumper and Winch

Any towing and winching discussions incl..towing accessories, Hijack, Straps, Links, winches, air inflators, jacks, ect.

Moderator: Tec Team

BoilerCommander

Custom Steel Bumper and Winch

Post by BoilerCommander »

I am picking up this bumper and skid plate with my tax refund, adding a winch soon there after..

With little to no experience in winching, I will most likely turn to you all for support and lessons in the near future. Now that things are coming together I might actually be able to take the Xk out!

2006 4.7L V8 Commander QT-II: Modifications and Garage
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Nice! :smt109
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
Lenny

bumper

Post by Lenny »

Very nice. Can't wait to see it.
Lenny
gunguy

Post by gunguy »

I am going to try and put on a winching 101 class this year, we have a few experts in the club now that im sure would be willing to give a hand. I am working on the date and I have most of the classroom handouts that would be needed.
Blue 1991 XJ, 3" skyjacker, Custom rockers, Lots of triming, 35" MTR's, Tomken front bumper with receiver, JKS disconnects, C-Rok steering brace, Kevins Offroad Heavy Duty Crossmember/Skid, Uparmored floors, Bedliner interior, Lockright in the rear, Aussie in the front
BoilerCommander

I think I am going to powder coat the bumper black and get the bottom skid plate silver. Do any of you know a good powder coating place in the area with reasonable pricing?

It will take about a month for him to build the bumper so I have a little time, and time to find an appropriate whinch

Or do you think I should chop up my front bumper and add this:
http://www.getlost4x4.com/tabid/55/Cate ... fault.aspx

There is about a $450 difference, but I dont know if I can clean it up enough to make it look as nice
2006 4.7L V8 Commander QT-II: Modifications and Garage
BoilerCommander

Well... good thing I met Swamp Thing because GetLost4x4 is changing directions and becoming an off road enthusiast company that helps with technical and DIY tips. Basically, his operating cost was to high to continue to make parts. He had to outsource almost everything (steel fab, powder coating etc) and do the welding and customizing himself.
He was selling super sliders for $600, bumpers for over $1,000, and spare tire carriers for $680... none of which came powdercoated or finished, just primered... and then tack on over $200 for shipping

The good thing is, he will be helping others make parts for their cars, so maybe he will give me some of his designs! Most of the XK parts work on the WK, but i just have to figure out something else to do on the front.
rockinxj00
TEC team
TEC team

Post by rockinxj00 »

you can contact A&R in Middlebury. the guys that due there powdercoat are in Shipsawana and they are pretty cheap.
Hey Hold My Beer and Watch This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BoilerCommander

SwampThang has a pretty killer powder coat setup in his shop so since he is pretty much going to help me build the parts, he will be doing the powder coating too. But it is good to know of the other options. Thanks!
David TJ Blue SPIRAL2

fyi...

Post by David TJ Blue SPIRAL2 »

I liked the first pic better since that set up gives you protection for the winch and the second one leaves it exposed.

Where are you at on this project?
03 TJ, 4" BDS long arm & 1.25" Body lift. Flat skid. FOX Shocks. 35" MTZs. 35 spline rear axle, 4.56 gears, air lockers, And more...
JOTM: Dec. 2014
fyi: I have changed my license plate from SPIRAL2 to NINJEEP.