Receiver Tow Hook Question

Any towing and winching discussions incl..towing accessories, Hijack, Straps, Links, winches, air inflators, jacks, ect.

Moderator: Tec Team

Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Re: Receiver Tow Hook Question

Post by Mediocre »

I didn't think the tow hook broke. I thought the recovery strap broke and caught the taillight breaking it off.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
FyrFytr704

Re: Receiver Tow Hook Question

Post by FyrFytr704 »

The direction of the pull has a lot to do with how they bend. With factory hooks, ideally, the stuck vehicle would be level with our slightly above the point of attachment to the pulling vehicle. This would cause the majority of the force to travel straight or slightly downward, which is where factory hooks are the strongest. Think about the stuck vehicle being in a mud hole or below the point of attachment on the pulling vehicle - would you trust the factory hooks to hold that pull, reliably, when pulling against the thinner part of the hook? I personally wouldn't. The other thing that can cause them to bend is the way the pull is made. Most people carry a tow strap. They're not made for shock loading/snatch recovery (one vehicle getting a moving start on the pull), they're made for high tension static loads (think about using one as a tree saver, anchor point, or for lifting). Snatch straps are made for use of kinetic energy pulls and are significantly easier on tow points. All I'm really saying is that you've got to be smart, safe, and have the right gear (like Troy said). If you're going to keep the factory hooks, just be very careful - they're not unusable, there are just safer and better options.
'04 Rubicon, high-lined, stretched to 104" wb, and armored
Stock 4.0, trans., and t-case
HP D60 front - ARB and 3-linked, D60 rear - Spooled and 4-linked, 5.38 gears, PSC assist, 40" LTB's
FINALLY out on the trail after 2 years in the making!
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"