Question on control arms

Suspension and body lifts, Tires, Wheels, Shocks and accessories

Moderator: Tec Team

Jeepguy91

Question on control arms

Post by Jeepguy91 »

Well i have been looking around at different lifts and stuff for my 96 zj. Came upon teraflex's 3" long arm kit. It only uses a long lower arm and still keeps the short upper arm. What do you guys think about running something like this? Think about adding it to my 3.5" kit i have already and just getting some adjustable uppers for it. Let me know what you guys think of running the control arms this way.

Thanks,
Ben
The Bandit
MJC member
MJC member

Post by The Bandit »

seems kind of weird to me but they must figure at 3" of lift you dont really need the extra angle on the control arm. my 4" still uses stock UCA's and longer fixed LCA's.
JOTM Feb 2011

A Jeep is a set of legos, the possibilities are truly endless!

93 GC 5.2L 4" zone lift, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich KM2,black rock 15x8 wheels, KOR radiator support w/ snatch points, T-case skid plate. rock sliders. front winch bumper comeing soon!!
green50gt

Post by green50gt »

Upon suspension cycle your axles are supposed to slightly rotate but still point at the tcase. Think of doubling your lower control arm length then dropping the axle, your pinion is going to want to tilt down. Bad upgrade. Very expensive but very redneck way of being "cool" and having long arms....IMO. Search this out on other forums and see what is being said.
whatsup1287

Post by whatsup1287 »

That kit is like the one I had on my old pickup. it rode great, but like already stated, not the best for a vehilce thats going to flex out.
If you want to go long arm and you have the tools, it might be worth making a radius kit. It's not the best set up, but better than what you are looking at. Here is a good write up about building it for a TJ. It would be the same as for a ZJ but the frame brackets would need to be a little diff.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700343
If you didn't want to make the frame mounts you could buy these too.
http://polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy ... 20680.html
2004 LJ - Huge lift, little tires, go fast chrome!
2006 mega cab cummins
1994 YJ
1999 Xj