updated 06/13/17- 144 MJC members, Club Mtg-2nd Monday of every Month at 6:30pm | MJC A-Store..MJC gets 4 percent orders from this Amazon based storefront...go shopping!!|Check Forum "Announcements" and "Have Fun out there" often for upcomming events and wheel'n opportunities!!!

Monthly Meeting Manners

We will do our best to keep things running smooth unless we are out on the trail.

Moderator: admin

Monthly Meeting Manners

Postby jv » March 15th, 2011, 9:16 am

I'm not one for controversy, but I'm going to stick my neck out this time and say my peace.

I come to the meetings both as a social event and to learn. It seems that the social part is overtaking the meeting. And I don't mean the content is at fault- I think we need to mind our manners a bit.

I've noticed a number of times over several meetings that our Prez and V. Prez have way too much other social noise to try and compete with when giving their presentations. I was in the second row last night less than 10 feet away and the distraction was still overpowering.

The microphone setup that Rubble brings is nice, but it wouldn't be needed if we kept the socializing to before and after the meeting.

Finally, I want to express my extreme embarrassment for whatever "emotional display" that was about the hats last night. What is up with that and why did that happen? The club got a deal on some cool hats- Don't like it? Don't buy one! And post up your suggestion on what you do like so it can be put to a vote.

I'd like to see us reign in some of the comments and interruptions. Can we hold the comments until the presenter asks for them? Poor John. Last I checked, our leaders aren't paid to do what they do- They do it for the love of the club, their rigs and for the like-minded folks that love theirs. Let's show them and THE NEW MEMBERS OF OUR CLUB some manners, shall we?
jv
95 YJ 4.0
jv
MJC member
MJC member

Postby Run4lo » March 15th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Like.
If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
Run4lo
TEC team
TEC team

Postby green50gt » March 15th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Also Like.
green50gt

Postby sandfox » March 15th, 2011, 1:48 pm

what they said x2
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
sandfox
TEC team
TEC team

Postby jeepdj » March 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm

BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO....
03 Grand Cherokee WJ, which stand for WILD JEEP. JK 17's, BFG Muds, 3" lift,
Stillen Big Brakes/Rotors,front tow hooks, rear D ring, cargo basket.
jeepdj
MJC member
MJC member

Postby Duff » March 15th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Bravo!!! Kudos!!! Bravo!!!
: 98 TJ : 14" coilovers : 35 TSL : D44/D60 4:88 ARB : Warn 8274 : Snorkel : Lights :
Duff

Postby wileyeyejeep » March 15th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Due to the distance I have to travel, I have only been to one meeting. I certainly saw first hand that this is indeed an issue. Little suggestion, could also build the Lars Scholarship fund. Designate someone the official MJC " Barney Fife" Some one to watch over the meetings. At the end of the meeting that person goes around and fines the individuals that broke meeting rules. No set amount for fine, what ever change they have or at least one buck. Try and have some fun with it as well as raise more money for the Lars Fund. Just a suggestion. It can be fun.
1998 RED Wrangler. 3.5" custom lift. 31" Wild Country MTX, Custom rear bumper, Millmark front winch bumper, 12000 Badlands Winch, custom rocksliders and many more mods to come. Not your average stock rig. JOTM November 2010. Proud member of the RED JEEP CLUB
wileyeyejeep
TEC team
TEC team

Postby Mediocre » March 15th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I think the socializing during the meeting was annoying and made it hard for people to hear. Without a doubt people need to be more respectful. We raise a hand sign at Boy Scouts (its Boys Scouts, not that sign) and wait for everyone to quiet themselves before continuing. That is not a hard thing to institute.

I think emotions were running a little high for some and that part was not handled in the proper forum. But the message I believe was that it is a club made up of its members and some input should be given to the members. This should be discussed at the club committee members meeting.

Everyone supports the club as a volunteer so lets try to keep everyone happy most of the time so no one feels it is too much of a burden. Everyone that helps with the club is doing a good thing that they can be proud of.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Postby jv » March 15th, 2011, 3:43 pm

My hope was that what I put out there won't be dismissed as a rant, and based on the above comments, I'm happy to see that it hasn't been so far. This is a great group that has, for me, has made a hobby meaningful through community service. As I become more involved, I'm seeing the amount of time and effort some key people are putting in and their hard work should be applauded and appreciated with respect. Definitely inspiring. jv
95 YJ 4.0
jv
MJC member
MJC member

Postby tazmangk » March 15th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Well said JV, well said!
94 YJ
PROUD member of MJC, ACES and the RED JEEP Club!
Bandit rear bumper/ tire carrier
BDS front bumper
XRC-8 winch
5 in rough country lift
31x10.5 all terrain ta's
JEEP of the Month, December 2010
Jeep of the Month, April 2014
tazmangk
CV team
CV team

Postby Mudbug1096 » March 15th, 2011, 9:16 pm

I so glad someone finally brought this up, it's one of the reasons I dont go to meetings anymore, but I thought I was just easily annoyed. I think it was very well said and hopefully this will help curb some of the auxiliary commentary that goes on. Way to step up JV!
"Oliver" 02 TJ 4 in Rough Country lift, 33 Bridgestone Duelers , Custom K&K rock rails.
Mudbug1096

Postby sandfox » March 15th, 2011, 10:55 pm

maybe we will have to get more chairs, have everyone sit at the meeting, thats how a normal meeting would work, at least all the one's i have been to :)
2013 jku sahara, 2.5 teraflex lift, 315 series generals, 410 gears ,just the new dune toy
2009 jku rubicon, 4"teraflex, 315 tires, 410 gears, oh did I mention 5.7 HEMI ?
APRIL 2010 J.O.T.M

wranglers i have had, 98 sport, 97 se, 88yj, 02 X, 01 sport, 05 X, 05 se, 99 sport, 98 se ,07 jk rubi, 05 x, 98sport, 2010 jku sport, 2013 jku sahara, 04 lj sport. 06 libby, 2009 jku HEMI , 80 j20, 04 lj sport, 03 tj X,
looking for 00 & 06
sandfox
TEC team
TEC team

Postby mudmonkey » March 15th, 2011, 11:16 pm

i agree one hundred percent! that is one reason that i quit going to meetings, too hard to hear or at least consentrate on what is being said, and with being one of the last ones to get the meetings due to work schedule, I also feel that more chairs are NEEDED for the meetings.
~MUDMONKEY~ 91 XJ 4.5" Lift, under construction..... sold=TOPLESS 96 Cherokee XJ, 4.5" Lift, 8,000 pound Smittybuilt winch, custom made front bumper,trimmed fenders, 33x12.50x15 TSL SUPER SWAMPERS . *JUNE 2010 JOTM*
mudmonkey

Agree

Postby Rubble » March 16th, 2011, 7:28 am

I agree with JV on this. I won't pretend that I am sometimes guilty of socializing during Johns presentation. Usually I am busy running sound/video. I will point out that we never use all the chairs provided. As far as the hat rant WOW. I feel partially responsible for setting off that rant. I had volunteered to take care of the logo items. Multiple people asked me Monday night about the hats. My only reply was to say "This is the first time I have seen or heard of them!" The rest of my thoughts on this matter I think I will keep to myself.
03 Wrangler a few add ons
93 ZJ winter beater (sold)
Rubble

Postby Cookie » March 16th, 2011, 11:20 am

I thought one day this would rear its ugly head and now Pandora’s Box is open. I was not there and I believe this "emotional display" is generated by frustration and the lack of input allowed by the members.

The women of this group have no choices in women’s shirts. I have money and love to shop, but cannot. If you give someone the responsibility of the store inventory allow them to run with the job and allow suppliers to offer quotes so we do not restrict our club to one supplier and get the best bang for the buck. I also understand we did not have the proper inventory to hand out to new members and that needs to be addressed.

Allow the membership who attends regularly to have a say. The members who participate should direct the club in events and attire. We seem to have a big lack of communication on logoed items. When the person who is responsible for the store items first hears about an item at the meeting, “cart before the horse” situation,,, something wrong here Wilbur!!!!

The emotional outburst apparently was needed to create this discussion about underling issues no one wants to talk about.

Now for meeting edict; yes we all are guilty of the jibber jabber during the meeting and me including. And thank goodness we have the PA system (Kudos Rubble). Sometimes the speaker needs to hold the mic closed to his/her mouth or turn up the mic gain so we can hear in the back. Less jibber jabber would help too. That would make the meetings more pleasant.

And big thank you to John and Bill! Yes you deserve this! This club owes you both a debt of gratitude! We as club members should all do our part to help in events and share the work load.
:smt075
Cookie

Postby Blueprint Ben » March 16th, 2011, 11:36 am

I am glad someone finally took the initiative to bring this up. I also quit coming due to this background noise. Its annoying as heck, and not a pleasent environment to sit in for an hour. It is not everyone that is causing the problem but the number of folks doing it has increased over the years. It is an embarassment when this occurres when a guest speaker comes, such as when the DNR guy came to speak. I guarantee he is accoustome to speaking in a professional environment and i didnt feel as if we gave him the respect he deserved as a speaker, let alone a guest. Also arguing or disputing things during the meeting is ridiculous, ive seen this happen several times and i feel for the speaker that is having to deal with it at that moment. Kudos to John and others for dealing with it for so long. I do not posess that amount of patience when it comes to grown adults.

Ive seen kindergarten classes with better manners during story time.
just my .02 cents
Blueprint Ben

Postby jv » March 16th, 2011, 1:30 pm

I posted my observation more as a casual observer and not as one who knows why it went that way- just what I saw and how I felt about it. I think this has been a healthy discussion and I believe that we'll all need to do our part to be sure our officers are aware of the valid concerns brought up- and maybe it's more appropriate to do it in person offline, and not here.
Most surprising to me were the people who said they have stopped going. So, in effect, our presenters are being nice and not making a big deal out of it to appease the folks that are there, while there are people that are turned off enough not to come! That's bothersome.

I like the idea of a collection of "fines"- kinda like a swear jar. :lol:
But I think it might be another kind of interruption.

Maybe more chairs and some more encouragement to sit would help. It can't hurt! I can help set up and tear down!

I wish there was an easy answer. Let's see what John and Bill think... Offline, if necessary.
95 YJ 4.0
jv
MJC member
MJC member

Postby Finch » March 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I agree 100% with quiting down beeng needed i will come out and i say i have played a part in it before but i do feel it was disrespectable to our guests were brought in. I'm a rather forth person and was ready to stand up and tell some people all about manners.
Be kind, be courteous and be careful but more importantly.. JEEP HARD OR GO HOME!!!
2000 Jeep Cherokee, all stock for now. KM2's in the future with some lift.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6775_n.jpg
Finch

Postby Woodstock » March 16th, 2011, 2:19 pm

I would first like to apologize to whom I have offended at our Monday Jeep meeting. I agree the meeting was not the appropriate venue to vent my frustration.

My frustration is a lack of addressing membership input on apparel items. MJC women have been complaining about the lack of women apparel for some time. This particular issue has not been addressed when brought up on many occasions. A feeble attempt has been made by purchasing yellow tank tops that fit kindergarteners. If you look at the women in MJC, as Cookie has stated; “One breast would not fit.” MJC women are good enough to help register, collect funds, tally scores, cook, and serve food while wearing MJC men’s T-shirts.

There has been interest in having monogrammed blue jean jackets. The membership of MJC has only a few apparel items to choose from based on the inputs of a select few. If we were able to purchase iron on transfers (IOT) could we not resolve this issue? I understand the reason for screen printing, but it has no flexibility without screen tooling. IOTs do not enjoy the durability as printing with ink. IOTs offer the ability for quick inventory build with a variety of shirt styles pending logo size. Pertaining to the embroidering of our logo the only cost from what I understand is a one time digitizing fee.

We purchase closeout inventory based on price and throw our logo on and now we have a new item for sale with no input or advanced notification. The connection between a supplier and family seems way to close for me. There has been discussion amongst members; there are better deals to be had. Why is no one listening?????
[align=center]2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Top. I have the BIG RED HOOK! It's my BLING BLING baby girl![/align]

[align=center]Image[/align]
Woodstock

Postby jv » March 16th, 2011, 2:40 pm

"MJC women are good enough to help register, collect funds, tally scores, cook, and serve food while wearing MJC men’s T-shirts."

Thank you for explaining that-- Eye opening for me. In the message I sent up to the Prez (just before you posted), I said I'd love to see my bride in a ladies' cut tee, too! She's said so herself.

I think it'll get some attention.
95 YJ 4.0
jv
MJC member
MJC member

Next

Return to Help, Comments & Suggestions