Tire and Hi-lift mount

Fabrication, Body work, components and paint

Moderator: Tec Team

xjjeepthing

Tire and Hi-lift mount

Post by xjjeepthing »

Kicking the idea around of getting rid of my roof rack and building a tire carrier/Hi-lift moint for my cargo are. I unfornutly do not weld or have a tubing bender. This is what I would like to do..

Wondering if anybody could give me an idea on how much it would cost to build this.
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
OiRadio47

Post by OiRadio47 »

that is sweeeeeet :shock:
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Maybe get a quantity discount. I want one! Maybe Blank brothers?
'98 XJ, long list, skinny wallet! Bummer.
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

I didn't think about the Blank Bros. Good call Jake
God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep the tire side down.
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

Glad to help. So who made the one in the pic? And how much was that one? It would need to be wide enough at the mounts to be over the "frame rails" so you don't have to take out the fuel tank to install it, and mounted on studs w/wing nuts so you could get it out and use the cargo area if needed.
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

It was on a NAXJA a year or so ago. I emailed the guy that built it. Wanted something like $350 shipped, told him he was nuts. It uses the factory so called luggage tie downs in the cargo area, no need to remove the tank.
Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash »

I think that would be prety easy to make. We have a 1.5" die. It would just take some time to make the first one.
Current Ride
2012 JKU. Cut off all factory suspension and replaced with Terraflex Long arms. 06 Super Duty Dana 60 front housing shaved and trussed to fit. 01 D-Max 14 bolt rear axle trussed with new link locations. ARB air lockers front and back powered by twin ARB compressors. Custom rock rail/steps, poor mans stubby factory bumper with SB 10K winch mounted to custom hidden winch mount, hydro assist with tapped steering box and ram cut factory fenders to clear 40" Pro Comps. Too much more to list....PS. No additional lighting needed to wheel the curbs around here.
xjjeepthing

Post by xjjeepthing »

Id be interested
Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash »

Before I can attempt to make a tire carrier i need to fix the bender. Yesterday morning I was bending a shock mount for my jeep and i blew out the hydraulic cylinder. Like I needed more to fix. I think i can rebuild the cylinder, it is just a engine crane cylinder.
Current Ride
2012 JKU. Cut off all factory suspension and replaced with Terraflex Long arms. 06 Super Duty Dana 60 front housing shaved and trussed to fit. 01 D-Max 14 bolt rear axle trussed with new link locations. ARB air lockers front and back powered by twin ARB compressors. Custom rock rail/steps, poor mans stubby factory bumper with SB 10K winch mounted to custom hidden winch mount, hydro assist with tapped steering box and ram cut factory fenders to clear 40" Pro Comps. Too much more to list....PS. No additional lighting needed to wheel the curbs around here.
Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash »

Any idea what wall thickness that is made of? I am sure it doesn't need to be .120 wall.
Current Ride
Jeeptech

Post by Jeeptech »

I think the thickest/strongest steel would need to be at the floor mounting points to keep this from breaking loose in an accident. Wall thickness probably just needs to be thicker than exhaust pipe. In fact, thick exhaust pipe may be perfect. I think we used 16 gauge, but it was a seemed tube, not dom.
LT1-YJ-on-39.5-IROKS

Post by LT1-YJ-on-39.5-IROKS »

I could build you something like that. Just call 1-574-675-0695 and ask for Shaun. Just give me a call and I will try to give you a price.
01 TJ LA and 37s
82 Dodge 1 ton on 38s
06 Cummins MegaCab on 37s
Tube Chassis Parts......