HELP DECIDE WHICH 35" MT's

Suspension and body lifts, Tires, Wheels, Shocks and accessories

Moderator: Tec Team

Reaperman

HELP DECIDE WHICH 35" MT's

Post by Reaperman »

I'm looking to replace my 33"s with a new set of 35"s, and would like your 2 cents worth. I'm looking at either the BFG KM2's or the Kuhmo Road Venture MT's. Both appear to be a good tire for the price. I want good off road performance, and respectable (for an MT) streetability. So what's your take on these two, who's had them, who likes which one, pro's and con's please! Also, 36.5" IROK radials might be an option.
96 XJ, Rusty's 8.5" lift & long arm, full cage, locked f&r, OBA, 35" KM2's
Finch

Re: HELP DECIDE WHICH 35" MT's

Post by Finch »

Totally not what you wanted but the cooper at3 is a respectable piece of rubber. http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Tr ... -A-T3.aspx my best friend runs them on his tj and they do excellent in mud and snow yet have the siping to work on ice and a thick sidewall for airing down on.
Be kind, be courteous and be careful but more importantly.. JEEP HARD OR GO HOME!!!
2000 Jeep Cherokee, all stock for now. KM2's in the future with some lift.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 6775_n.jpg
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

I have the KM2's in 35" and am really happy with them. I rarely get stuck, not sure how much is tire, it is a Rubicon. They aren't terribly loud. Winter driving on ice or a quarter inch of snow is a challenge because of the large flat areas. Also have to be careful in the rain. This is true of any aggressive mud tire so just be aware. The only issue I have is getting small rocks in the bead causing slow leaks. A set of bead lock rims would resolve that but I don't want the hassle of bead locks. I have owned them before and can get 40k miles on a set. I have 16k on this set and they are wearing well.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

the goodyear mtr/kevlar is an aggressive mud tire that holds the ice and rain quite well. i have heard great things about them, personally i cant get past the stupid tread look..... i would never...
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
Run4lo

Post by Run4lo »

Reaperman wrote:I'm looking to replace my 33"s with a new set of 35"s, and would like your 2 cents worth. I'm looking at either the BFG KM2's or the Kuhmo Road Venture MT's. Both appear to be a good tire for the price. I want good off road performance, and respectable (for an MT) streetability. So what's your take on these two, who's had them, who likes which one, pro's and con's please! Also, 36.5" IROK radials might be an option.
To stay on track... I have ran the Kuhmo MT's and really liked them for their performance and price! They were a good tire in all types of terrain. My only complaint would be that they are a directional tire so they are harder to rotate evenly so I had some funky wear (choppy) towards the end of their days. I am currently running the KM2's and so far I like them a lot. A little more expensive but, I'd say worth the extra $. I have about 16-17,000 on them and they're still fairly quiet on the road. Hope this helps.
If there's a Rock, YO I'll crawl it!
Check out the looks while my JK devours it!
Rocks, rocks, baby!
IH8MUD OlllllllO IH8MUD
JOTM Jan. 07 & Sept 10 - MIGS
jv

Post by jv »

+1 on the MTR/Kevlar's. +1 on the stupid looking tread, too. But that weird A/T strip is what keeps me on the roads when it's raining- Best tread wear in a mud tire yet. Oh, and you have to run them with the white letters out; another side effect of the stupid looking tread. :D
95 YJ 4.0
Reaperman

Post by Reaperman »

Thanks for everyones input. May have to give the stupid looking Goodyear MTR's another look, but right now I'm leaning towards the KM2's. The Kumho's, being directional, pose an issue with mounting a single spare.
96 XJ, Rusty's 8.5" lift & long arm, full cage, locked f&r, OBA, 35" KM2's
jv

Post by jv »

Highly recommend Tire Rack in South Bend, too. Best price and even sent me a rebate form in the mail AFTER I bought them that started the day they were installed. Class Act.
95 YJ 4.0