Stupid Mistake! I need some help!

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

coachm

Stupid Mistake! I need some help!

Post by coachm »

This might crack you up.

Last year my 94 ZJ would not start. I thought I might of left the lights on so I went to jump it. It was night, I was in my drive way and it was during a snow storm. I could not see that well and I was in a hurry. I made a stupid mistake and hooked up the jumper cables wrong. (negative to positive and positive to negative :roll: )

When I did it nothing unusual happened and when I went to start it all the electrical equipment starting going crazy. I had no clue what was going on until I looked and saw a little smoke coming from the battery and a burnt smell. I immeditly corrected my stupid mistake and obviously my ZJ still would not start. I burnt out the 2 altanotar fuses.

i replaced them and my Jeep started right up. But, since then my CD Player (after market JVC) and my temp gauge does not work. I checked all other fuses and no other ones blew. I pulled the radio out and all wires look fine and the fuse on the radio was not blown.

What should I check next?

I have a another CD player I could put in there nut its a Pioneer. I never installed a radio. Do I just need a Pioneer wire harness and a mounting unit? If the pioneer works then i know I fried something in my JVC. But what is causing the temp gauge not to work?

If the Pioneer wont work either then what do I do?

Thanks for your time and input.
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Re: Stupid Mistake! I need some help!

Post by Mediocre »

Verify the stereo has power using a test light or volt meter. You probably fried something in it by reversing the polarity. The temperature sensor is basically a resistor so you probably fried it when the alternator fuse blew when you cranked it. Get a new sensor from the auto parts store, shouldn't be much.

You don't need a vehicle/radio specific wiring harness to install the radio. Just connect all the wires one by one. There may be a vehicle specific connector with the wires coming out of and connected to the radio harness, wire by wire. If not they cut the factory connector and spliced the wires or used a "Scotch-Lock" connector to T off the factory wire before the connector. In any case just make sure they are marked as you disconnect them from the old radio to make things easier.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

Verify the stereo has power using a test light or volt meter. You probably fried something in it by reversing the polarity. The temperature sensor is basically a resistor so you probably fried it when the alternator fuse blew when you cranked it. Get a new sensor from the auto parts store, shouldn't be much.

You don't need a vehicle/radio specific wiring harness to install the radio. Just connect all the wires one by one. There may be a vehicle specific connector with the wires coming out of and connected to the radio harness, wire by wire. If not they cut the factory connector and spliced the wires or used a "Scotch-Lock" connector to T off the factory wire before the connector. In any case just make sure they are marked as you disconnect them from the old radio to make things easier.
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
jv

Post by jv »

Hey Ed- I only see one- maybe you're seeing double? :smt101

jv
95 YJ 4.0
jv

Post by jv »

Hey Ed- I only see one- maybe you're seeing double? :smt101

jv
95 YJ 4.0
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

erschrader wrote:Mediocre [Joe ] change your name to REPEATER.....LOL :)
You must be seeing double. Eye Check. Is anything moving in the below photo.

(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

like button pressed
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"