My 8.8 swap

All model engines and drivetrain related items including transfer cases, lockers, air intake, Anything electrical..lights, stereos, speakers, wiring, except winches and electric lockers.

Moderator: Tec Team

speeduck

Re: My 8.8 swap

Post by speeduck »

airforceret wrote:
zuk524 wrote:Roger, how much lube do you put in? Looking at the plug centerline, if I fill it to the plug then half the axle tube would be full. I added 3 1/2 quarts and hope it`s OK..... BTW, don`t have rear brakes yet as my frame brake hose won`t be in until Friday, but it made it`s shake down run today! No strange vibes and all feels good. Man did I miss my Jeep!!!!
It's been about 4 years ago i did the swap and don't recall how much it took initially. Seems like it takes about 2 1/2 when i drain and refill it but that is also due to the location of my drain plug. Keep in mind there is a point where it would be considered overfill and that is not all that good either. Sounds like you should be pretty close to normal.

Roger...

overfull is for sure NOT a good thing!! i have an analogies on that, ill save it for in person. something to do with walking in dry sand is like having no gear lube, and walking in the surf to your knees is just as hard(over full) but that sweet spot right between the two, (wet sand= lubed just right) is real easy to walk on...... makes sence if you think about it for a minute.
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

How i learned it was in a normal install, it was full when it lightly seeped out the fill plug on level ground. If it was below the fill plug, but you could get the tip of your pinky wet, it could use a little, but wasn't dangerously low yet.

when you rotate it up, if you have to stick your pinky in it to get it wet, it's probably low as it should almost always at least seep out the fill plug (noting that seep is not the same as flowing/gushing out).

too much is like a fan blade running under water... not to mention it doesn't get the same splash and sling to circulate the lube...

well that's how i learned it "many" years ago... hahaha

Roger
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!
Zuk
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Zuk »

Seeping out is true until you rotate the pinion up. Like I said, if I were to fill it to seep out the fill plug then half the axle tube would be filled. In my experience if that happens you`re looking for axle seal leakage as they are not suppossed to have that much lube in the tubes. At 3 1/2 quarts I`m keeping an eye on the axle seals and I`ll get a temp gun and start watching the temp on the pinion after driving. I saw a thread on a 8.8 in a TJ where the guy said how much lube he added and I`ll be damned if I can find it again! Right now I think I`m real close tho....
2001 Sahara, 4.0, auto, Rubicon express 5.5" long arm, Rubicon Dana 44's front and rear, OE air locker in front, ARB air locker in rear, 37" Mastercraft MXT's, 4.10's, Tera 2low, SYE, Currie Anti rock in front, Currie rock sliders, Barricade rear armor, Tmax 9k competition winch, Tmax 2.5k suck down winch in rear :)
moneyshot

Post by moneyshot »

3 quarts....thats what i read.....and thats what i put in mine. So far so good....about 1000 miles on it. Only thing is, my pinion is at 14....yours is at 18....yikkkers
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

moneyshot wrote:3 quarts....thats what i read.....and thats what i put in mine. So far so good....about 1000 miles on it. Only thing is, my pinion is at 14....yours is at 18....yikkkers
Well like I said, mine takes about 2 1/2 quarts after draining with the drain plug. I'm also running a custom diff cover on mine which is probably a factor I should point out too. So the seep point may or may not be consistent with the stock cover.

Good news is that I must be doing something right as I've got a tad over 45,000 miles on my 8.8 and about 5,000 of those miles are literally off road trail miles in Utah and Colorado, and quite a bit of off road here as well. Knock on wood!

Roger
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!