Receiver Tow Hook Question

Any towing and winching discussions incl..towing accessories, Hijack, Straps, Links, winches, air inflators, jacks, ect.

Moderator: Tec Team

TFERV
CV team
CV team

Receiver Tow Hook Question

Post by TFERV »

I just bought a Reece 10,000 lb Receiver tow hook to put in my Olympic Rear Bumper with Receiver hitch so that I have a tow point on the back of my LJ. The one question that has been in my mind is if my rear bumper can handle the tow capacity (2,000 lbs) if I am being pulled out of (say) a mud hole. My main concern is that with the Jeep's weight and possible suction pressure that being pulled it may excede the tow capacity (2,000 lbs, I know it should still handle slightly more than that) and bend my bumper out. Is this something I should be concerned about? What would an average tow lb weight be for a jeep being pulled? Thanks! 8)
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
White Rubi
CV team
CV team

Re: Receiver Tow Hook Question

Post by White Rubi »

That bumper seems a little light for my liking to be pulled from. IMO.
05. LJ rubi with 454tbi and th400 trans with 241OR t-case.
Member of the Big Block Jeep club
6in RC lift 3in body
38x14.5x16 toyos on procomp wheels

http://www.youtube.com/koalacat
http://s816.photobucket.com/home/koalacat_photo/index
FyrFytr704

Post by FyrFytr704 »

I definitely understand your concern. The rating for towing is generally conservative (the manufacturer won't say that 2,000 lbs is safe if it will fail at 2,010lbs). That said, depending on how stuck you are, the angle of the pull, the type of pull (winch vs kinetic strap vs. tow strap) and a bunch of other factors, it's always possible that you could bend or break whatever you're pulling against. Most of the time, getting stuck is a matter of lack of traction or just hanging up on something. Here's my point - it's always smart to figure out the best way to get unstuck and doing it right is almost always going to be the best way to ensure that you're not breaking things.

If the best point of attachment you have is the bumper, don't be afraid to pull from there, as long as it was designed to be used as a tow point (i.e. don't use tie rods, axles, etc.). If you've got a hitch to attach to, that's a great place to work with and I wouldn't be too fearful of getting pulled out by either method. At the end of the day, it's all about being smart and pulling safely.

We should have a recovery "workshop" at one of our events this year... this is good for everyone to know and understand!
'04 Rubicon, high-lined, stretched to 104" wb, and armored
Stock 4.0, trans., and t-case
HP D60 front - ARB and 3-linked, D60 rear - Spooled and 4-linked, 5.38 gears, PSC assist, 40" LTB's
FINALLY out on the trail after 2 years in the making!
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

FyrFytr704 wrote:If the best point of attachment you have is the bumper, don't be afraid to pull from there, as long as it was designed to be used as a tow point (i.e. don't use tie rods, axles, etc.). If you've got a hitch to attach to, that's a great place to work with and I wouldn't be too fearful of getting pulled out by either method. At the end of the day, it's all about being smart and pulling safely.
We should have a recovery "workshop" at one of our events this year... this is good for everyone to know and understand!
Thanks for the advice! I would imagine for most situations it would be fine it's just hard to know how far is too far when it comes to tow lbs. Right now my tow points are the 2 stock front tow hooks and now the reciever hook.
Last meeting we had a workshop on tow traps, but yes, a full recovery workshop would be very benificial. I think recovery is often overlooked and the dos and donts are very important to abide by. Thanks again.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

94 Grand ZJ, 6" long arm lift, 35" Cooper STT Pro, locked & trussed 8.8, built HP30, WJ brakes & high steer, diy bumper, winch, SYE w/ F&R shafts, Flowmaster, bla bla bla...
SOLD: 04 LJ, 97 ZJ, 98 ZJ December 2016 J.O.T.M.Narrow Road Adventures - Follow Us on YouTube, Instagram,
Facebook
[/align]Image
Mediocre
MJC member
MJC member

Post by Mediocre »

It totally depends on the "stuck". If it is an issue where you have a lack of traction then no problem. But if you are to the frame in suction type mud then the bumper will bend and become useless. I was at Bundy Hill when they were trying to yank a Jeep that was buried to the frame in a mud hole using a tube bumper receiver hitch hook. The bumper ended up in a v-shape and eventually tore the metal at the mounting point on one side.
[___ :smt023 ]
(O lllllll O)
[ ]---o--[ ]
airforceret

Post by airforceret »

Using an integrated bumper / hitch vs a standard frame mounted hitch may or may not be a factor. 1) Compare how your bumper mounts to the frame in relation to a standard frame mounted hitch. 2) Compare the quality of the bumper / hitch to a standard hitch as well. Bending or ripping from the mounting points is more common with combo bumpers than standard hitches. 3) The tow rating is often in direct correlation to the tongue weight attributed to a standard class of vehicle. The frame mounted hitch will likely withstand a great amount of stress, but the factory rating is more related to the ability of the vehicle to carry the appropriate tongue weight (if a higher tow rating was allowed). Hence, a standard hitch is usually far stronger than the advertised numbers, and it's for safety reasons.

With that said, you do need to keep in mind that the mounting hardware is also a factor. A grade 5 bolt is not as strong as a grade 8; however, a grade 5 will normally stretch before it snaps whereas an 8 tends to just snap!!!

I've had a lot of stress on my frame mounted hitch, as well as my front bumper, and both have handled it. In fact, at Autism a few years ago, i had my hitch strapped to a hummer, and winch cable wrapped to a tree to pull out the hummer (it's in one of the videos). I'm pretty sure I had a few thousands pounds of stress and had no issues. But I've also seen bumpers ripped off.

Just be sure to practice safe recovery and stay clear!!!

Roger...
2001 TJ, ARB Lockers, Teraflex/Full Traction, Currie Anti-Rock, Cepek 33x12.50x15... Moab Tested... Moab Proven!
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Thanks guys. It sounds to be a "depends" situation. I would assume a frame mounted tow hook would be the strongest method?
This weekend I had it buried down to the frame on the passenger side and it seemed to handle the recovery fine. However, like everyone has said it will probably just need to be judged on a case by case basis. Thanks for all your help.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
Duff

Post by Duff »

Case by case is spot on.

Also, note that winching does not answer to the same "suction powers" if you will. When your buried in the muck, a winch will actually be easier on your hooking point (because of a number of factors, like shock load, and others that I won't bore you with on this thread).

Summary, I like straps for simple "hang-ups" and winches for what I would consider a true extraction.
: 98 TJ : 14" coilovers : 35 TSL : D44/D60 4:88 ARB : Warn 8274 : Snorkel : Lights :
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I would like to get a winch but its not a financial priority now (getting married in Aug.).
...Funny story: my buddy with a Rubicon drove over the strap when there was slack and wrapped up and tore it around his front drive shaft diff. That was a bear to get undone. It was one of those situations you see it coming and then it's too late and it happened haha.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
FyrFytr704

Post by FyrFytr704 »

TFERV wrote:Thanks guys. It sounds to be a "depends" situation. I would assume a frame mounted tow hook would be the strongest method?
This weekend I had it buried down to the frame on the passenger side and it seemed to handle the recovery fine. However, like everyone has said it will probably just need to be judged on a case by case basis. Thanks for all your help.
image.jpg
It may be something that you already know, but be VERY careful when pulling from the stock front tow hooks... I've seen them bend straight up (still bolted down) and let the strap go. Let's just say that's not a pretty situation in a lot of ways.

Whatever you do, the best thing that you can do is keep people away from the situation - especially any part of the operation that has tension or is between a vehicle and a hard place. :smt003
HP D60 front - ARB and 3-linked, D60 rear - Spooled and 4-linked, 5.38 gears, PSC assist, 40" LTB's
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

FyrFytr704 wrote:It may be something that you already know, but be VERY careful when pulling from the stock front tow hooks... I've seen them bend straight up (still bolted down) and let the strap go.
Yeah the stock hooks don't look the most sturdy. Would you recommend swapping them out for some 10k lb full "C" hooks?
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
Duff

Post by Duff »

TFERV wrote:That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I would like to get a winch but its not a financial priority now (getting married in Aug.).
...Funny story: my buddy with a Rubicon drove over the strap when there was slack and wrapped up and tore it around his front drive shaft diff. That was a bear to get undone. It was one of those situations you see it coming and then it's too late and it happened haha.

Congrat's on the marriage program!!!
A good marriage is much better then an ole' winch any day of the week... :D
: 98 TJ : 14" coilovers : 35 TSL : D44/D60 4:88 ARB : Warn 8274 : Snorkel : Lights :
FyrFytr704

Post by FyrFytr704 »

TFERV wrote:
FyrFytr704 wrote:It may be something that you already know, but be VERY careful when pulling from the stock front tow hooks... I've seen them bend straight up (still bolted down) and let the strap go.
Yeah the stock hooks don't look the most sturdy. Would you recommend swapping them out for some 10k lb full "C" hooks?
Personally, I like the idea of replacing the stock bumper, in favor of a winch bumper with built in mounts for clevises (shackle/D-ring as many people know them). Obviously, that can get expensive and not everyone has that kind of budget, but it affords a lot of great value - in my opinion:
  • It let's your Jeep stand out a bit from others
  • They're generally stronger than factory bumpers (think of potentially bumping a tree, or even an accident with another vehicle)
  • They generally are ready for a winch (if you plan to upgrade to one at some point)
  • They provide better tow points (generally)
  • Many also have mounts for lights and other accessories, as well (grille hoop, hi-lift jack, off-road flag, etc)
If you are going the bumper route, you will want to think ahead to any planned mods that you'd like to do someday. For instance, if you plan to run big tires or stretch the wheel base, you'll probably want a "stubby" bumper. Also, as mentioned you'll want to think about winches, lights, etc. as far as other mods go.

In the case that you are planning to keep things relatively stock and want a little bit of extra safety for those front tow points, I would definitely recommend upgrading to a more stout hook - like the ones that you mentioned. The beauty of an upgrade like that is that you get a good amount of safety for not much money and the install is really easy (you just need the large torx bit - and I am sure that many of the members here - myself included - would be happy to help if you don't have to tool for the job). Either way you go, I think you're making a good choice.

Don't forget that we have some great vendors that are on the site that you can ask questions of and work with (you usually get a discount too). There's also the For Sale section and it never hurts to do a little searching on Craigslist, Ebay, or the internet in general to see what's available for ya.

Keep us posted on what you end up deciding! There's never a shortage of opinions or support for those thinking about upgrades! :smt003
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Thanks! I have aftermarket Olympic bumpers on it. I don't plan on modifying it much more due to my "marriage-prep budget." It looks like I can get a set of rugged ridge 10k lb hooks for about $16. If there is a vender that I could get some from for about that price (in black) or also come with new bolts then I'd be open to that. I will have to examin the condition of my stock bolts.
Thanks again. Hope to see you at Jones this weekend.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
FyrFytr704

Post by FyrFytr704 »

TFERV wrote:Thanks! I have aftermarket Olympic bumpers on it. I don't plan on modifying it much more due to my "marriage-prep budget." It looks like I can get a set of rugged ridge 10k lb hooks for about $16. If there is a vender that I could get some from for about that price (in black) or also come with new bolts then I'd be open to that. I will have to examin the condition of my stock bolts.
Thanks again. Hope to see you at Jones this weekend.
You could tryMoab Offroad

If I remember right, Bad Hair Day is the member on this board that you'd want to look up, but I am sure that you could mention that you're an MJC member if you call them and get the same result.

I am not sure of what exact brands they carry, but I would be willing to bet that they can point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps!
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

Great. Thanks for the help!
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
FyrFytr704

Post by FyrFytr704 »

It's my pleasure. Best of luck - let us know how it goes!
"
J
ust
E
mpty
E
very
P
ocket"
TFERV
CV team
CV team

Post by TFERV »

I looked at the reviews on the OEM tow hooks at Jeepforum.com and there is only 1 out of over 50 people that had negative reviews on them. If you say you saw some bend, I believe you, but it sounds pretty rare.
[align=left]
Taylor Fervida

Facebook
[/align]Image
speeduck

Post by speeduck »

just my .02, i wouldnt use a stock tow hook to pull a weed. switch them to face forward and they can be used as raptor claws, thats how useful they are.... just my rant taylor.
"05 rubicon"
1006RTI ramp/4"susp long arm/UCF belly up/xrc bumpers/T-max 10,000/cobra 29/motometal 909's/35's Falken Wildpeaks/kilby steerbox skid/quick double disconect sway/member of the
endo
club
"member of the red jeep club"
White Rubi
CV team
CV team

Post by White Rubi »

Its on the internet so its true......Bonjour........... lol. Just practice safely any recovery.

I think there's a video of Craig lochmandys rubi stuck at bundyhill. And the tow hook breaking off and flying thou the tailgate of a grand Cherokee. Along with his fog lite.
05. LJ rubi with 454tbi and th400 trans with 241OR t-case.
Member of the Big Block Jeep club
6in RC lift 3in body
38x14.5x16 toyos on procomp wheels

http://www.youtube.com/koalacat
http://s816.photobucket.com/home/koalacat_photo/index